Clinical Pathology Technician
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail, and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Clinical Pathology Technician Specialist. This position is in West Jefferson, OH.
Battelle’s Life Science Research Center offers a staff of highly trained scientist and technicians, and state of the art facilities to support our clients’ toxicology, safety pharmacology, and inhalation research programs. Our multidisciplinary integrated approach to providing critical solutions for our pharmaceuticals, biotech, agrichemical, industrial, and government clients increases the speed of the development while maintaining quality and compliance.
Primary expectations of the Clinical Pathology Technician Specialist include: perform routine automated and manual procedures in the areas of Hematology, Clinical Chemistry, Coagulation, Urinalysis and Parasitology in accordance with Good Laboratory Practices (GLP). In addition, the individual will perform several of the following procedures including, but not limited to: clinical pathology sample preparation, necropsy, tissue trimming, embedding, staining, microtomy, quality control, and tissue/slide inventory. Daily tasks may be assisting other more senior technicians in completion of daily activities or working alone on the assigned tasks. This is a first shift position with some overtime, with primary responsibilities include routine automated and manual procedures in the areas of Hematology, Clinical Chemistry, Urinalysis, Coagulation and Parasitology. This position will also cover on-call rotation of weekends. The desired candidate will be proficient with processing samples, filing, maintaining and troubleshooting all laboratory equipment in accordance with Good Laboratory Practices (GLP).
- Understand and closely follow relevant Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs), Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Study Protocol requirements regarding all laboratory activities assigned and/or engaged in.
- Use proper record keeping to document work activities.
- Develop a good working knowledge of laboratory equipment and experimental procedures and applies this knowledge in the performance of assigned laboratory tasks.
- Conduct standard as well as non-standard tasks under the close supervision and guidance of more experienced staff.
- Respond appropriately to various alarms and potential emergency situations.
- Adhere to chemical agent, facility and bio-facility safety requirements.
- Read assigned SOPs promptly to remain in compliance with Battelle policies and regulations.
- Follow health and safety requirements that are posted or within relevant SOPs.
- Willingness to continue to learn new tasks to expand knowledge as opportunities present.
- May assist in other related areas to include: histology, cage wash, chemistry, off site pathology (BBRC) based on needs and skills.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology, MT (ASCP) or Associate's Degree in Medical Technology, MLT (ASCP).
- 3-5 years' experience in clinical pathology/laboratory setting.
- Understand and closely follow relevant Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs).
- Demonstrated ability to be detailed-oriented, organized, dedicated, multitask with ease, and work well in a team setting within a diverse group of individuals.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others and reliable and punctual. Must be innovative and able to work with little supervision.
- Sufficiently medically fit to do work in a lab wearing appropriate respiratory equipment and perform assigned duties.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs waist level and 12.5 lbs above shoulder level able to carry/push/pull 500 lbs (items on floor, tabletop, other surfaces) with help of carts, dollies, rollers, etc.
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
- Must be willing to work in a biosafety level 2 (BSL2) and/or 3 (BSL3) environment and able to wear appropriate respiratory protection.
- Must be willing to be immunized with licensed and FDA approved vaccines and medications recommended for persons at risk to occupational exposure of biological agents
- Must be willing to participate in periodic drug screening.
- Must be willing to work evening, weekend, and holiday hours (this also includes on-call rotation of weekends).
- Newly hired employees are subject to a 90-day introductory period, during which their performance is evaluated by supervision.
Additional requirements may be requested at a future date:
- Ability to obtain/maintain certification in Chemical Personnel Reliability Program and/or Biological Personnel Reliability Program.
- Ability to obtain/maintain DoJ Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval.
- Ability to obtain/maintain CDC Select Agent Program approval.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers