Anatomic Pathology Technician
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking an Anatomic Pathology Technician. This position is located in West Jefferson, OH.
Battelle’s Life Science Research is seeking a full-time technician to work first shift in Pathology with the expectation of working overtime, weekends (alternating), and rotating holidays.
- Performing necropsy examinations
- Tissue trimming for microscopic examination, data recording and performing quality control reviews in accordance with Good Laboratory Practices (GLP).
- Routine Operation of various histology laboratory equipment.
- Tissue embedding, staining, microtomy, quality control of tissues, and tissue/slide inventory.
- Conducts standard and non-standard tasks working alone or under the close supervision and guidance of more experienced staff.
- Understands and follows relevant Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs), Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Study Protocol requirements regarding all laboratory activities assigned.
- Carcinogen Use, Laboratory Animal Handling, National Toxicology Program (NTP) work, Personnel Air Purifying Respirator usage (including "dust mast" and PAPR), Blood borne Pathogen and/or Infectious Waste Handling.
- Uses proper record keeping to document work activities.
- Develops a good working knowledge of laboratory equipment and experimental procedures and applies this knowledge in the performance of assigned laboratory tasks.
- Reads assigned SOPs promptly to remain in compliance with Battelle policies and regulations and follows health and safety requirements that are posted or within relevant SOPs.
- May assist in other related areas to include: cage wash, chemistry, off-site pathology (BBRC) based on needs and skills.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, animal science, or related life science OR a high school diploma and equivalent laboratory experience of at least 1 year.
- Adhere to chemical agent, facility, and bio-facility safety requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to be organized, multitask, communicate effectively with a team and diverse individuals, and desire to learn new skills.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Sufficiently medically fit to do work in a lab wearing appropriate respiratory equipment and perform assigned duties.
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
- Must be willing to work in a biosafety level 2 (BSL2) and/or 3 (BSL3) environment and able to wear appropriate respiratory protection.
- Must be willing to be immunized with licensed and FDA approved vaccines and medications recommended for persons at risk to occupational exposure of biological agents
- Must be willing to participate in periodic drug screening.
- Must be willing to work evening, weekend, and holiday hours.
- Newly hired employees are subject to a 90-day introductory period, during which their performance is evaluated by supervision.
Additional requirements may be requested at a future date:
- Ability to obtain/maintain certification in Chemical Personnel Reliability Program and/or Biological Personnel Reliability Program.
- Ability to obtain/maintain DoJ Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval.
- Ability to obtain/maintain CDC Select Agent Program approval.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Pathology and/or clinical pathology laboratory experience.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers