Biosecurity Research Scientist
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a BioSecurity Research Scientist. This position located in Columbus, Ohio.
This position will support the development of novel next-generation computational and bioinformatics tools. The position will work in a small, fast-moving team collaborating with laboratory and data scientists to research emerging and disruptive technologies and deliver cutting-edge software products to the emerging biotechnology market. Responsibilities for this position include:
- Providing technical guidance, a multi-discipline team, effectively facilitating productive communications between data scientists, software developers, and biological scientists
- Designing and implementing innovative, sophisticated and user-friendly software that leverages modern programming languages and functional-programming concepts
- Researching, developing, and evaluating novel computational approaches for nucleic acid sequence analysis, data transfer and analysis pipelines, and downstream analysis and visualization
- Leading experimental design, analysis, and integration of high-content nucleic acid sequence data generating capabilities (e.g., massively parallel sequencing, synthetic biology, and/or genetic editing platforms)
- Ensuring effective and frequent communications amongst technical performers, senior project leadership, and line management
- Capturing and reporting technical progress in technical reports, briefings, marketing collateral, and peer-reviewed articles for presentation to management and clients
- Training junior scientists
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, or Engineering and a minimum of three (3) years of demonstrated software development, software engineering practices and Test-Driven Development
- Strong background in Bioinformatics or Computational Biology
- Ability to decompose, generalize, and simplify problems to maintain product consistency
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and proven ability to work collaboratively with development teams to ensure development cycles are maintained
- Proactive approach to problem solving and commitment to achieving quality results on schedule
- Strong ability to think up and down the technology stack and isolate technical problems
- Sole U.S. citizenship, with the ability to obtain and maintain required government security clearances as a condition of employment; a recent or current security clearance is advantageous.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Four years of experience with:
- multiple languages (e.g., C#, C++, Java, and scripting languages like Perl or Python)
- Unix-like computer systems and tooling
- cloud computing, parallel computing, and big data
- data analytics and algorithm development
- version control systems such as git and subversion
- optionally, containers and orchestration tools (e.g.,. docker, kubernetes, nomad, or equivalent)
- Familiarity with genomic resources (e.g., RefSeq, Ensembl, dbSNP, DGV, dbVAR, ClinVar, ExAC or UCSC Genome Browser)
- Foundational knowledge and interest in genomics and molecular biology
- Ability to work in a dynamic and diverse team environment
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers