Principal Research Scientist - Instrument Service Engineer
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking an Principal Research Scientist-Instrument Service Engineer. This position is located in Columbus, OH.
The Instrumentation Engineer will help the laboratory analyst enhance the productivity of their laboratory processes and drive high levels of satisfaction by performing maintenance, repair and validations of a broad range of laboratory instrumentation. The Instrumentation Engineer will support the lab analysts by providing ‘best-in-class’ responsiveness and professionalism in all interactions.
- Provide full service support and GLP qualification for multiple types of laboratory instrumentation. This mainly includes but is not limited to the HPLC, GC, and LC Mass Spec platforms.
- Technical expertise in a wide range of laboratory instrumentation and equipment will be leveraged to minimize instrument down time and maximize analyst’s productivity.
- Functions as a service engineer to trouble-shoot and repair problems on HPLC, GC, and LC Mass Spec systems.
- Has in-depth technical knowledge of multiple manufactures scientific equipment.
- Write Installation, Operational Qualification and other pertinent documents where required for GLP qualification of instrumentation.
- Maintain service and qualification records for all covered instrumentation.
- Assist with installation of all new equipment.
- Maintain appropriate inventories for all service and consumable parts.
- Assist with training of new analysts on software and system components.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or other relevant area and at least 8 years relevant experience OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience trouble shooting Analytical Chemistry Instrumentation – LC/MS, HPLC, GC, GC-MS
- US citizen or permanent resident.
- Must be willing to work in a biosafety level 2 (BSL2) and/or 3 (BSL3) environment and able to wear appropriate respiratory protection.
- Must be willing to be immunized with licensed and FDA approved vaccines and medications recommended for persons at risk to occupational exposure of biological agents
- Must be willing to participate in periodic drug screening.
Additional requirements may be requested at a future date:
- Ability to obtain/maintain certification in Chemical Personnel Reliability Program and/or Biological Personnel Reliability Program.
- Ability to obtain/maintain DoJ Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval.
- Ability to obtain/maintain CDC Select Agent Program approval.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers