Health & Safety Manager
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Health and Safety Manager to support the Environmental Protection Agency’s PHILIS (Portable High-Throughput Integrated Laboratory Identification System) program, reporting to our corporate headquarters in Columbus, OH. The position can be supported from any geographic location in the U.S., OH location preferred, as periodic travel will be required to the lab sites.
The Health & Safety Manager ensures overall compliance with all environmental, health and safety regulations at all PHILIS laboratory locations. The mobile PHILIS units located in Edison, NJ and Castle Rock, CO provide real-time, onsite data to response personnel for the timely and cost-effective mitigation of CWA contaminated sites. The mobile laboratories also provide analysis of toxic industrial chemicals in the event of a natural disaster or accidental release, using state of the art gas chromatography/mass spectrometry techniques. There are fully operational PHILIS unit in New Jersey and Colorado. The newly established biology lab in Lakewood, CO would be used for bio-related events.
- Conducts a minimum of quarterly visits to the three aforementioned laboratory locations.
- Travels to an incident location on short notice if required.
- Prepares, maintains, and updates environmental policy and procedure manuals IAW local, state and federal environmental, health and safety regulations.
- Formulates and maintains the Chemical Hygiene Plan.
- Manages the laboratory waste program.
- Provides laboratory safety and other required regulatory health and safety training.
- Tracks and assures the status of worker H&S requirements, training, and records.
- Manages all documentation related to safety measures taken at each laboratory, to include operation-specific hazard assessments.
- Acts as an advisor on health and safety issues regarding projects, tasks, and operations, reporting to the PHILIS Program Manager frequently.
- Makes environmental, health and safety recommendations at work areas and around procedures.
- Keeps abreast of any changes to laws and regulations that impact the organization.
- Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Performs a variety of complex tasks, including risk assessment of practices and procedures and usage/exposure to solvents, chemical and biological agents.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in health and safety related field with 5 years related experience.
- Experience with performing laboratory health and safety audits.
- Ability and willingness to travel to multiple locations frequently.
- Minimum experience with ventilation and fume hood systems.
- Familiar with biosafety requirements.
- Familiar with toxic chemical health and safety requirements.
- Able to acquire top secret security clearance.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- CIH certification.
- Experience working on-site at government client location.
- At least 8 years of experience that includes health and safety standard concepts, practices, and procedures.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers.