Animal Laboratory Technician
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking an Animal Laboratory Technician. This position is in West Jefferson, OH. The work schedule is Monday-Friday and will require occasional weekend, overtime and holiday hours.
Battelle's Biomedical Research Center team includes 200 scientific staff with varied expertise, including aerobiology, safety toxicology, pathology, microbiology, and chemistry, among other disciplines, who work together to develop and/or test novel drugs and medical countermeasures from discovery to FDA approval. The Battelle Biomedical Research Center is a high containment facility consisting of a highly toxic material test facility, as well as a Biosafety level 1, 2, and 3 laboratories. This position will be engaged in toxicology/chemistry laboratory activities to evaluate medical countermeasures for highly toxic materials and infectious organisms, utilizing the animal research model. Consistently maintaining high levels of safety and accuracy is paramount always.
- Performing routine lab procedures with a high degree of accuracy
- Collecting, recording, analyzing, documenting and reporting results with a high degree of accuracy
- Working with hazardous materials in a controlled environment while maintaining strict safety standards and procedures
- Maintaining thorough written and verbal communication with supervisors, study directors and coworkers
- Understanding and following all relevant SOPs, facility and security guidelines
- Regularly cleaning and maintaining laboratory facilities and equipment
- Provide support with the sanitization, repair, and maintenance of caging, carts, and other equipment
- Assist in the disposal and removal of waste from the facility
- Learning and refining new laboratory skills and techniques
- Maintaining an excellent work attendance record and being punctual on all projects
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- High School Diploma or equivalent education and 1 – 2 years of relevant/applicable experience
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must have a high degree of manual dexterity and the ability to work wearing a respirator
- Ability to frequently bend and stoop
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. to waist level and 25 lbs. to shoulder level
- Must be able to be on feet for most of the work shift
- Ability to obtain/maintain certification in Chemical Personnel Reliability Program (NACLC required) and/or Biological Personnel Reliability Program (Single Scope Background Investigation required for entry- this is background investigation performed for DoD TOP SECRET clearances), and Biological Suitability Assessment Program
- Ability to obtain/maintain DoJ Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval.
- Ability to obtain/maintain CDC approval to work with BSAT material.
- Must be willing to work in a biosafety level 2 (BSL2) and/or 3 (BSL3) (biocontainment) environment and able to wear appropriate respiratory protection.
- Must be willing to be immunized with FDA licensed vaccines and Investigational New Drugs (IND) recommended for persons at risk to occupational exposure of biological agents
- Must be willing to participate in random drug screening.
- Newly hired employees are subject to a 90-day introductory period, during which their performance is evaluated by supervision.
- Must be willing to work weekend, overtime, and holiday hours as needed.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Working toward an Associate’s degree or higher.
- Work toward certification at the AALAS Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician level or above
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers