Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Research Scientist/Engineer with significant experience in the design, assembly, and troubleshooting of products utilizing electromechanical systems to work within design teams in Battelle’s CBRNE Product, Engineering and Readiness Support (PERS) Business Line focused on products that save lives and maintain operational readiness for the military. This position is in Columbus, OH.
Guide and execute work with electromechanical systems with specific interest and experience in designing new systems for product manufacturing. The candidate will contribute significantly to advancing current systems as well as the research and development of future systems. The candidate must appreciate a fast pace environment, have a desire to take immediate ownership of large portions of system development, and be effective in a small team or individual tasking.
The following are a list of probable tasks:
- Design, fabricate, test, install, operate, and maintain complex electromechanical systems and subsystems for government programs including firmware and microcontrollers
- Independently develop, upgrade, test, debug, and implement systems
- Develop system architectures and circuit designs for product integration
- Independently identify functional needs and requirements
- Perform system design and analysis based upon requirements
- Work with teams of engineers and scientists to advance prototypes to products
- Provide support for the interpretation and analyzes of data
- Oversee small teams, manage schedule and direct work to provide high throughput of assignments
- Generate reports, test plans, presentations and other deliverable documentation.
- Provide system use documentation and procedures throughout system development
- The candidate should be a well-rounded individual with the ability to switch between hands-on tasks and office based efforts. The development of many of our products are completed by small teams, the candidate must be comfortable working the entire life cycle of a R&D phase in which they are both tasked with work and task others.
- Experience designing complex systems for medium scale production
- Familiarity with modifying systems to quickly and cost effectively meet the needs of a client.
- Ability to quickly troubleshoot failure and knowledge and ability to communicate possible changes in procedures to address failures.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 5-8 years of experience, Master’s degree with at least 2-5 years of experience
- 3-5 years of experience in the design and assembly of electromechanical systems (includes internships and graduate level experience)
- Experience and knowledge of designing toward MIL-STD
- Design of electromechanical systems utilizing firmware and microcontrollers
- Experience with circuit design of embedded digital electronics
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. Government Security Clearance.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
- #linkedin #clearancejobs #indeedcampaign