Master Developmental & Reproductive Toxicology (DART) Technician
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle's work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Master Developmental & Reproductive Toxicology (DART) Technician . This position is located in West Jefferson, OH.
The Master Technician is responsible for providing general research support to the DART (Developmental and Reproductive Toxicology) laboratories, which is part of our Life Science Research division. This is a full-time, first shift position with overtime, weekend, and holiday hours. Battelle’s Life Science Research Center offers a staff of highly trained scientist and technicians, and state of the art facilities to support our clients’ toxicology, safety pharmacology, and inhalation research programs. Our multidisciplinary integrated approach to providing critical solutions for our pharmaceuticals, biotech, agrichemical, industrial, and government clients increases the speed of the development while maintaining quality and compliance.
- Perform DART tasks including but not limited to laparohysterctomy in rodents and rabbits, fetal external, visceral, head, and skeletal exams (rodents and rabbits), skeletal processing, sperm analysis using the TOX-IVOS, estrous cycle evaluations
- Work collaboratively with DART research leader, study directors, supervisors and other team members to support DART study activities
- Coordinate technical support within the DART team and with other groups
- Assist in scheduling DART studies
- Maintain glossaries, training manuals, and SOPs
- Train other team members on DART techniques and other laboratory techniques
- Effectively organize and lead a team to execute study protocols
- Perform tasks according to study protocols, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) or laboratory methods, Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) regulations, and safety guidelines
- Perform laboratory procedures and data collection and analysis with a high degree of accuracy
- Develop a good working knowledge of laboratory equipment and experimental procedures and applies this knowledge in the performance of assigned laboratory tasks
- Effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, with supervisors, study directors, study coordinators, and coworkers
- Learn and refine new laboratory skills and techniques
- Maintain an excellent work attendance record and punctuality on all projects
- Mentor junior staff
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- High School Diploma or equivalent and at least 10 years’ experience in a DART laboratory setting
- Demonstrated detailed-orientation and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team setting within a diverse group
- Must be able to work overtime, weekend, and holiday hours
- Must be a US Citizen or permanent resident
- Must be willing to work in a biosafety level 2 (BSL2) and/or 3 (BSL3) environment and able to wear appropriate respiratory protection
- Must be willing to be immunized with licensed and FDA approved vaccines and medications recommended for persons at risk to occupational exposure of biological agents
- Must be willing to participate in periodic drug screening
- Newly hired employees are subject to a 90-day introductory period, during which their performance is evaluated by supervision
Additional requirements may be requested at a future date:
- Ability to obtain/maintain certification in Chemical Personnel Reliability Program and/or Biological Personnel Reliability Program
- Ability to obtain/maintain DoJ Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval
- Ability to obtain/maintain CDC Select Agent Program approval
THE FOLLOWING EXPERIENCE IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED, TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, RVT, animal science, or other related scientific field preferred
- Provantis data collection system for DART
- TOX IVOS system for sperm analysis
- Breeding procedures for rodents and rabbits, examination of pregnant/nursing animals, standard postnatal evaluations of offspring
- Animal husbandry and handling, test article administration by various routes (gavage, parenteral)
- Necropsy and/or histology
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers