Software Engineer Intern (Summer 2018)
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology, and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Battelle’s CBRNE Defense team is currently seeking a Software Engineer Intern. This position is located in Columbus, Ohio.
Our Applied Genomics and Biology Business Line is currently seeking a Software Engineer Intern to provide support to the development of next-generation bioinformatics tools. The position will work in a small, fast-moving team collaborating with laboratory and data scientists to research emerging and disruptive technologies and deliver cutting-edge software products to the emerging biotechnology market.
- Assisting with the design and implementation of software that:
- is sophisticated, streamlined, and robust
- performs better than industry standards and effectively scales
- leverages modern programming languages and functional-programming concepts
- Assisting with researching, developing, and evaluating novel computational approaches for nucleic acid sequence analysis, data transfer and analysis pipelines, and downstream analysis and visualization
- Assisting with designing UIs to efficiently communicate data to users while maintaining uniform style
- Assisting with supporting management, computational analysis, and interpretation of large genomic data sets
- Assisting with integrating multiple systems using a REST API/concurrency framework
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s Degree program in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA
- Ability to decompose, generalize, and simplify problems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and proven ability to work collaboratively with development teams to ensure development cycles are maintained
- Proactive approach to problem solving and commitment to achieving quality results on schedule
- A passion to directly impact science and society
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Experience with/knowledge of:
- programming and scripting languages (e.g., C#, C++, Java, Perl or Python)
- cloud computing, parallel computing, and big data
- version control systems such as git and subversion
- Familiarity with genomic resources (e.g., RefSeq, Ensembl, dbSNP, DGV, dbVAR, ClinVar, ExAC or UCSC Genome Browser)
- Foundational knowledge of and interest in genomics and molecular biology
- Ability to work in a dynamic and diverse team environment
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers