Chief Engineer - Ground Vehicles
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Chief Engineer – Ground Vehicles. This position is located in Columbus, OH.
The Vehicles Chief Engineer will work in the Ground Vehicles Business Line which is composed of engineers and designers. This high performing team engineers, researches, designs and develops armored and unarmored commercial vehicles for the US DoD and other Government entities. The purpose of this position is to lead development of vehicle-level designs, requirements allocation, coordination of design and systems integration, design optimization, verification, product validation and sustaining engineering efforts. The Chief Engineer will collaborate with other technical experts within Battelle developing and achieving product performance requirements responsive to target customer applications.
This candidate will report to the Ground Vehicles Business Line Manager. The candidate will support all projects relating to the design and build of complex vehicle systems and any ancillary equipment. This will include design, analysis, modeling, testing, fabrication, troubleshooting, electrical and electromechanical systems both internally, with our customer, and with our supply chain. This position will be responsible for the requirements identification and management of vehicle design programs and assisting in the development and tracking of engineering design budgets. It is estimated that up to 25% travel will be required and the successful candidate must be a U.S. Citizen, with the ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. Government Security Clearance.
- Provide technical leadership and system oversight for the design of high quality armored tactical and commercial vehicles for U.S. Government clients achieving optimum product positioning, cost competitiveness, and customer satisfaction by successfully achieving program goals and deliverables.
- Provides technical direction to the development of program performance attributes and deliverables consistent with the needs of Battelle’s Ground Vehicles business and its customers throughout the life of the program, and fielded product by ensuring that all systems, sub-systems, and components work within established design requirements.
- Envisions, plans and develops IR&D technology solutions including subsystem technology roadmaps required to meet existing and emergent needs of customers, core suppliers, and Advanced Manufacturing.
- Works with production engineering to successfully transition design concepts to production engineering management including the primary responsibility for design, development, validation and resource direction including assisting supply chain management as necessary.
- Develop strong customer support and technical relationships, and employs those relationships to guide the development of new technology and vehicle performance
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Electrical Engineering, or Automotive (engineering) related field
- Ten to fifteen (10 to 15) years of experience in automotive product development in one or more component areas (i.e. Interiors, Body-in-White, Powertrain, Brakes, Hardware/Software, etc.)
- At least 7 years of experience in vehicle design/development with responsibility including design direction, release, design and release processes, and configuration control and management
- At least 5 years of experience leading technical professionals
- Proven design success through the use of quality tools including: DFMEA, validation testing, 8Ds, and other industry standards.
- Demonstrated experience in building engineering functional excellence through development of design best practices and mentorship of engineering staff
- Excellent communication / language skills required to communicate instructions and present technical ideas, concepts, and solutions to all levels of employees, management, customers and vendors
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize multiple tasks and projects in alignment with dated objectives and goals
- U.S Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. Government Security Clearance
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Experience working on small scale, rapid development design programs slated for quick transition to production
- Demonstrated knowledge of Vehicle Systems and their impact upon off-road functional performance
- Prior program management skills such as budgeting, scheduling and monitoring quality
- Experience with requirements management tools (e.g. DOORs, Cradle)
- Knowledge of DFSS, Lean and Six Sigma principles and methodologies
- Experience in Material Science, specifically related to opaque and transparent armor
- Ability to work effectively with internal and external team members to achieve objectives
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
- #linkedin #clearancejobs #indeedcampaign