Research Scientist Statistician / Data Scientist
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Research Scientist Statistician/Data Scientist. This position is located in Columbus, Ohio.
For over 35 years, our Advanced Analytics organization has been specializing in providing statistical analysis, modeling and informatics solutions in the areas of health, defense, environment, toxicological studies and other research areas. We are looking to add a modeling and simulation specialist to our growing team, contingent on award of a multi-year contract with a defense client.
The primary job responsibilities for the selected candidate will include:
- Data analysis, modeling, and algorithm development within a supply chain and computational forecasting environment
- Processing and combining data sets for analysis from diverse sources
- Summarizing data for internal and external reports
- Critically evaluating data for quality measures such as completeness, accuracy, and applicability, applying understanding of relevant research area nomenclature
- Recommending and implementing mathematically sound analyses and modeling on diverse data sources
- Communicating results in a clear, concise, and effective manner with emphasis on data visualization techniques
- Proactively managing expectations and meeting deadlines in a fast-moving, agile environment
- Maintaining excellent communication and interacting with co-located team members as well as geographically diverse team members daily
- Domestic travel of 2-3 business days per month is anticipated
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
PhD AND 0-2 years OR Master's degree AND 2-5 years expereince OR Bachelor's degree AND 5-8 years experience with degree in Applied Math, Physics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Computational Sciences, or Statistics
- Strong applied experience with mathematical and statistical theory, such as Markov Chains, Discrete Event/Monte Carlo simulation, Systems Dynamics modeling, Optimization, and Deterministic methods (such as Survival Modeling). Demonstrated expertise in discrete events simulation modeling of supply chains.
- Expert application of algorithmic programming and data visualization skills in Python, R, or Matlab.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to obtain or maintain a DoD Secret security clearance.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- PhD or Master’s degree in Applied Math, Physics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Computational Sciences, Statistics AND 5 years of experience
- Bachelor's degree in Applied Math, Physics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Computational Sciences, Statistics AND 10 years of experience
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers