Sr Systems Engineer, Neurotechnology
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Sr Systems Engineer with proven expertise in neurotechnology product development to join our Medical Device Development group. This position located in Columbus, OH.
Our business operates using a matrix structure. Functional resources are organized together for reporting purposes; however, our projects are organized in cross-functional teams. This position reports to the Manager of Electrical, Software, and Systems Engineering, but will be a key member of product development teams for Battelle internally- and client-funded projects in neurotechnology.
- This position leads and oversees the technical aspects of product development, particularly in neurotechnology. Typically, projects are executed by multi-discipline engineering teams including electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, software engineers and algorithm developers, biomedical engineers, materials scientists, and others.
- The Senior Systems Engineer, Neurotechnology will work with Project Managers and Research Leaders to motivate and energize the R&D team, business leaders, business partners and our clients, to enable delivery of ground-breaking neurotechnology-based products.
- Supports Battelle’s neurotechnology Research Leaders in forecasting future scientific and competitive developments in neurotechnology to maximize the effectiveness of Battelle’s investments and intellectual property strategy.
- Supports business development activities to capture major research grant and contract project funding, both government and commercial. This includes writing proposals and technical papers, participating in conferences, and collaborating with industry peers and potential clients.
- Mentors project staff to encourage a high performing, continual improvement culture.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or other relevant discipline and 10 – 15 years of product development or R&D experience
- M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or other relevant discipline and 8 – 10 years of product development or R&D experience
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or other relevant discipline, and 5– 8 years of product development or R&D experience
- At least 5 years of experience in neurostimulation or neuromodulation medical device development
- Demonstrated ability to lead multi-disciplinary R&D teams
- Experience leading a long-range, advanced R&D program toward applied outcomes
- Evidence of emerging or established neurotechnology product development as indicated by conference presentations, patents, and/or involvement in important commercial innovation
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Experience in neurostimulation or neuromodulation implantable or insertable devices, including package design and manufacturing
- Experience with non-invasive neural sensing, recording, imaging, data analysis, stimulation or modulation
- Experience spanning both clinical research and product development
- Experience developing business strategies
- Track record of winning research and development project funding and/or product development / commercialization results
Battelle is a $5 billion contract research, translational engineering, and commercialization services enterprise, serving markets including national security, infrastructure, and human health. With industrial and university partners, we are also a leading manager of National Laboratories for the U.S. government. Consistent with Battelle’s business strategy and non-profit charter, we value competitiveness, scientific distinction, high-impact innovation, revenue growth in areas with strong benefit to humanity and the nation, investment to sustain and develop research capabilities (such as NeuroLife™), and philanthropy with an emphasis on STEM education.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers