ASCP certified Histology Technician or Histotechnologist
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking an ASCP Certified Histology Technician. This position is located in West Jefferson, OH.
Battelle’s Life Science Research Team is seeking a full-time ASCP certified Histology technician to work first shift in Pathology with the expectation of working overtime, weekends (alternating), and rotating holidays.
- Performs complex histological procedures and necropsy examinations
- Performs a variety of tasks from routine H&E staining to Immunohistochemistry staining.
- Competent in both microtoming paraffin blocks as well as operation of cryostat.
- Tissue trimming for microscopic examination, data recording and performing quality control reviews in accordance with Good Laboratory Practices (GLP).
- Uses computerized equipment and records data from tests
- Routine Operation of various histology laboratory equipment
- Uses proper record keeping documenting work activities
- Reads assigned SOPs promptly to remain in compliance with Battelle policies and regulations and follows health and safety requirements that are posted or within relevant SOPs
- Understands and follows relevant Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs), Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Study Protocol requirements regarding all laboratory activities assigned.
- Carcinogen Use, Laboratory Animal Handling, National Toxicology Program (NTP) work, Personnel Air Purifying Respirator usage (including "dust mast" and PAPR), Blood borne Pathogen and/or Infectious Waste Handling.
- Conducts standard and non-standard tasks working alone or under the close supervision and guidance of more experienced staff.
- Develops an understanding of laboratory equipment and experimental procedures and applies this knowledge in the performance of assigned laboratory tasks.
- May assist in other related areas to include: cage wash, chemistry, off-site pathology (BBRC) based on needs and skills.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience with 2-4 years of experience in the field or in a related area
- Certified as a Histology Technician, HT (ASCP) or Histotechnologist, HTL (ASCP).
- Experience with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within histology field to include but not limited to: tissue embedding, staining, microtomy, quality control of tissues, and tissue/slide inventory.
- Adhere to chemical agent, facility, and bio-facility safety requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to be organized, multitask, communicate effectively with a team and diverse individuals, and desire to learn new skills.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Sufficiently medically fit to do work in a lab wearing appropriate respiratory equipment and perform assigned duties.
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
- Must be willing to work in a biosafety level 2 (BSL2) and/or 3 (BSL3) environment and able to wear appropriate respiratory protection.
- Must be willing to be immunized with licensed and FDA approved vaccines and medications recommended for persons at risk to occupational exposure of biological agents
- Must be willing to participate in periodic drug screening.
- Must be willing to work evening, weekend, and holiday hours.
- Newly hired employees are subject to a 90-day introductory period, during which their performance is evaluated by supervision.
Additional requirements may be requested at a future date:
- Ability to obtain/maintain certification in Chemical Personnel Reliability Program and/or Biological Personnel Reliability Program.
- Ability to obtain/maintain DoJ Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval.
- Ability to obtain/maintain CDC Select Agent Program approval.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Necropsy experience
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers