Medical Products Cybersecurity Design Lead
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Medical Products Cybersecurity Design Lead. This position located in Columbus, OH.
Battelle’s Consumer, Industrial, and Medical Business Line is hired by external companies from startups to Fortune 100 to assist them with their product development needs. Clients choose to work with us because of a proven track record for developing innovative and marketable solutions to challenging technical problems. A significant portion of our work is focused on developing medical devices. This has included projects for mass produced drug delivery devices, immunodiagnostic systems, surgery tools, large scale imaging systems, and more. Regardless of whether the device is in the user’s hands or part of a larger system of care, they all are driven by the same ambition - to positively affect the user’s health outcome.
Working with our DeviceSecure Services team, this position oversees, directs, and/or contributes to the cybersecurity design aspects of medical device product development projects. This role will work with medical manufactures on design, architecture, verification, testing, and execution of security best practices in the development of new medical devices as well as penetration testing and cybersecurity risk mitigation of legacy systems.
Role Specific Responsibilities:
- Leads the execution of cybersecurity design efforts for both in-house and external client medical product development projects, through the application of experience and technical mastery. This includes but is not limited to embedded electronic devices, connected smartphones, and web based product solutions.
- Applies experience in various Defense Programming & Defensive Design techniques and approaches to create robust solutions.
- Identifies or creates, and applies various security assessment tools against designs.
- Task Leadership
- Leads team in the development and presentation of technical briefings tailored to the client’s mission and level of technical understanding.
- Communicates with client regarding schedule and quality of deliverables.
- Supports task leadership of cybersecurity analysis activities including scope, schedule, cost monitoring, controlling, and reporting.
- Business Development
- Demonstrates understanding of our capabilities and offerings and clearly articulates them to current and potential clients.
- Serves as proposal author for small projects or prepares technical sections of larger proposals.
- Assists with the coordination of and participates in Battelle-sponsored marketing events or conferences and works independently or with a team to investigate new project opportunities.
- Participates in scientific conferences, peer review panels, and/or increases company visibility through publications.
- Business Acumen
- Lead or contribute toward internal capability growth strategies and execution
- Demonstrates general knowledge of budgeting and financial concepts and uses understanding of individual and project impact to the business unit to inform decision making.
- Demonstrates understanding of current business conditions and success factors critical to our long-term sustainability and competitiveness. Provides strategic input to the business.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent technical degree and 8- 10 years applicable experience.
- M.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent technical degree and 5- 8 years applicable experience.
- PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent technical degree and 2 - 5 years applicable experience.
- Demonstration of subject matter expertise in cybersecurity for embedded systems, with an understanding of the cybersecurity issues and common solutions for the different layers of an embedded systems.
- Demonstrated experience in Defense Programming and Defensive Design techniques
- Experience with various security tools for auditing security of a system (IDA, Nessus, Wireshark, Kali, Fuzzers, etc.)
- Strong understanding of standard communication protocols (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB, BLE), and can speak to the high-level security challenges associated with each
- Strong understanding of embedded system functional components (Bootloader, chain of trust, operating systems) and knowledgeable of their different levels of functionality
- Preferred background in programming/security research
- Experience in task management, planning and leading activities.
- Candidate must be self-motivated, organized, and a problem solver who works well both alone and with a team.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills.
- Experience with ISO 14971 desired.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers