Air Quality Scientist
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking an Air Quality Scientist to fill a role in the Environmental Business Line. This position is located in Columbus, OH.
- Manage and support environmental projects specifically related to air quality sampling and analysis.
- Conduct technical work and produce quality results in a timely manner. Prepare in-depth technical reports and PowerPoint presentations in support of air quality projects.
- Design and conduct field and laboratory experiments, including preparing sampling and test plans, required to address client’s needs.
- Lead air sampling and air quality audits to ensure client compliance with specific state and federal ambient air quality standards.
- Provide technical advice (internally and externally) to ensure project execution at the highest quality.
- Develop and implement internal research and development projects that enhance capability and/or support the development of new technical approaches.
- Participate with an air assessment team to increase company visibility and scientific credibility by presenting work in client meetings, scientific forums, conferences and in publications.
- Lead and support the development of proposals to government and industrial clients.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- U.S. Citizenship
- A Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in chemistry or related field and at least 8 years of experience in the field of air assessment/air quality, or M.S. in chemistry or related field and 4 years of experience, or a PhD in chemistry or related field.
- Ability to demonstrate a broad familiarity with air sampling and analysis instrumentation for the collection and measurement of criteria pollutants, VOCs, carbonyls, SVOCs such as PAHs, and particulate matter (PM10, PM2.5, speciated PM, UFP, etc.)
- Experienced with the preparation of QAPPs, SOPs, TADs, other quality systems and technical guidance documents that govern and describe air monitoring and sample analysis activities.
- A demonstrated background in analytical chemistry methods development and the design, planning, execution, and interpretation of the results from air monitoring field studies and projects.
- Expertise in data visualization and analysis with programs such as IGOR, MatLab, and/or R.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Excellent writing, communication, interpersonal skills, analytical, and leadership skills, as demonstrated by technical reports, published papers, theses, and the like.
- Desire to meet with clients and present Battelle’s air assessment capabilities and services.
- Ability to travel domestically, including participating in field work, approximately one week per month.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS ARE DESIRABLE FOR THIS POSITION:
- Experience in conducting onsite technical systems audits of air monitoring laboratories and sites, such as those in the NCore, SLAMS, CSN, NATTS, and PAMS national networks.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers