Project/Program Manager in Life Sciences Research
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Project / Program Manager in Life Sciences Research. This position is located in West Jefferson (Columbus), Ohio.
Battelle’s Life Science Research Center offers a staff of highly trained scientist and technicians, and state of the art facilities to support our clients’ toxicology, safety pharmacology, infectious disease, and inhalation research programs. Our multidisciplinary integrated approach to providing critical solutions for our pharmaceuticals, biotech, agrichemical, industrial, and government clients increases the speed of the development while maintaining quality and compliance.
To serve as a project/program manager in a matrixed organization which requires coordination of project team members. This includes task plan development and the implementation and management of task cost, schedule and performance, and meeting client expectations.
- Defines task requirements and identifies all elements of cost, schedule and technical performance. Develops and/or refines the Work Breakdown Structure to a level sufficient to identify all the work required for task or project completion.
- Serves as the point of contact for both scientific and financial discussions with clients in both infectious disease and toxicology related fields. Hosts client visits for programs on pharmaceutical safety assessment as well as efficacy testing.
- Manages cost, schedule and performance using standard program management tools such as MS Project. Assigns work to task team members. Assesses the task impact of scope, schedule and budget change requests and takes requisite action. Ensures that the task is maintained within the scope, budget and schedule of the baseline agreement.
- Contributes to proposal efforts by drafting language that describes the problem to be solved, the proposed management approach to solving the problem and the benefits to the client of using this approach.
- Has a working knowledge of contractual issues relative to the task being managed relevant to scope of the work, deliverables required and their scheduling.
- Prepares and presents presentations to internal management and to external customers to provide reviews and updates on technical aspects, cost, and schedule.
- Has a basic understanding of risk management fundamentals and terminology. Applies processes and procedures to identify, analyze, classify and mitigate the prioritized project risks.
- Applies safety standards and procedures to complete safety checks and verifies compliance with the safety plans of a task. Is knowledgeable regarding regulations and policies on workplace safety, and actively incorporates safe workplace practices into task work.
- Stays abreast of Project Management best practices. Understands, embraces and executes relevant Quality Systems and applicable industry regulations. Maintains a basic understanding of and ensures compliance with applicable government and industry regulations.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in a biological/life sciences field from an accredited institution, plus 2 years’ experience in managing programs in the life sciences; or a Bachelor’s degree in the biological/life sciences plus 7 years’ experience in managing programs in the life sciences field.
- Must be a US citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret clearance.
- Demonstrated project management skills with ability to work collaboratively with both internal and external counterparts.
- Understanding of government accounting practices, WBS, Gantts, CLINS, etc.
- Must be willing to work in a biosafety level 2 (BSL2) and/or 3 (BSL3) environment and able to wear appropriate respiratory protection.
- Must be willing to be immunized with licensed and FDA approved vaccines and medications recommended for persons at risk to occupational exposure of biological agents
- Must be willing to participate in periodic drug screening.
- Must be willing to travel locally between Battelle sites on a periodic basis.
Additional requirements may be requested at a future date:
- Ability to obtain/maintain certification in Chemical Personnel Reliability Program and/or Biological Personnel Reliability Program.
- Ability to obtain/maintain DoJ Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval.
- Ability to obtain/maintain CDC Select Agent Program approval.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Ph.D. in the biological/life sciences field.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
- Diplomate of the American Board of Toxicology (DABT) certified or eligible.
- Government/DOD Secret Clearance.
- Experience working in a Contract Research Organization (CRO)
- Experience in markets, products, clients, and services relevant to the Global Business Unit is highly desirable.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers.