Senior Vulnerability Researcher / Reverse Engineer
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Senior Level Cyber Vulnerability Researcher / Reverse Engineer. This position is in Columbus, OH. Come in for an interview to find out why Battelle is right for you.
Do you like solving the hardest computing problems in the world, working on research projects you are passionate about, and competitive mini basketball, and bumper pool? Battelle may be the company for you.
Battelle Cyber Engineers solve the toughest Computer Science problems in the world. We work in small agile teams to push the bounds of computing technology. Our high-powered computer labs include specialized software and hardware, so our engineers have everything they need to invent new Cyber solutions.
Our team is casual. We usually wear t-shirts and jeans. We are a close-knit group and enjoy participating in social activities outside of work. Whether it is visiting local restaurants, bowling, Korean BBQ, or paintball we always have a good time.
Battelle is committed to its employee’s professional growth. We encourage new ideas with our large Internal Research and Development (IRAD) program where engineers work on projects they are passionate about.
Technical Leader of our growth accelerator portfolio of IRAD programs:
- Lead the task of evaluating the existing capabilities
- Interface heavily with customers to understand their needs, align with their roadmaps, and sell our capabilities
- Develop the architecture and implementation plan
- Serve as a member of our Technical Council to ensure coherency with our current IRAD
- Lead technical development and cultivate technical leaders to execute plan
- Standardize a suite of VR/RE practices (and document them), and influence tool purchase and propagation
Subject Matter Expert of VR/RE solution development, project performance, and business development:
- Lead solution development for proposals in area of expertise with a team of SMEs
- Provide mentoring to VR/RE engineers at all levels of the organization
- Support our Cyber Academy leads by updating the Cyber Academy curriculum and VR/RE module and teach courses as needed
- Develops and leads execution of high complexity projects through the application of experience and technical mastery.
- Leads teams in troubleshooting execution challenges. Develops and implements solutions to complex problems.
- Develops and implements corrective action based on issues that have occurred, customer feedback, and technical progress.
- Develops strategies, for complex systems, to conduct technical risk management, identification, and analysis of risks with stakeholder coordination.
- Leads the analysis of complex data and provides direction regarding appropriate methods to be used.
- Develops designs for complex technical systems with full understanding of the larger system and how integration needs to occur.
- Demonstrates mastery in all life cycle processes for engineered systems. Leads large teams of engineers and systems engineers for complex, multidisciplinary systems.
- Provides direction and coaching to lower level staff around strengths and weaknesses of solutions, conclusions, and problem approaches.
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge of the information being presented and can be relied on to respond to client questions as they arise, engaging SMEs where appropriate.
- Participates in industry conferences and increases company visibility through publications or online presence.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field of study, or equivalent experience
- 10-15 years’ experience in Vulnerability Research, Reverse Engineering, or related technical area
- Develop software to run in user-mode or kernel-mode
- Ability to code in C or C++
- Ability to use a scripting language (Python, Perl, Ruby, etc.)
- Experience with all of the following:
- PC and embedded systems architecture to include boot processes and OS internals
- Network protocols
- Assembly-level code on multiple platforms (x86, x64, ARM, MIPS, PowerPC, etc.)
- Knowledge of common mitigation techniques (DEP, ASLR, etc.)
- Successful experiences working with teams
- Must be a sole US citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a US government security clearance
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Kernel level development/driver development for embedded and real-time operating systems
- Experience with mobile wireless system vulnerability research
- Experience debugging embedded systems and RTOSs and using embedded debugging tools
- Prior experience working in Agile environments
- Active Secret or Top Secret Clearance
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers.