Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are seeking a Project/Program Manager for our growing Agriculture Business Line in Columbus, OH.
Battelle’s Agricultural Business Line works with companies ranging from startups to major multinational corporations providing R&D product development support. Clients choose to work with us because of a proven track record of close to 30 years’ experience conducting regulatory studies. A significant portion of our work is focused on conducting studies for new product registrations. This has included projects for pesticide residues, environmental fate, plant and animal metabolism, formulation development (synthetic chemistries and microbials), and spray drift testing.
The Project Manager will be an integral part of the multi-disciplinary teams that we form around each project and dedicate to achieving that project’s goal. Our team-based approach means you will work side-by-side with teams with vast technical backgrounds. The unique backgrounds and work experiences brought by each team member lends diversity of the studies, which results in both product innovation as well as an engaging work environment.
Projects can last from just a few months to several years and the successful candidate will lead many different projects over the years. Each project presents its own set of requirements and challenges, so you will continue to experience career growth as a project manager through regular opportunities to apply your skills to those new challenges.
- Responsible for the management and business performance of an assigned project team.
- Manages complex agrochemical projects which requires coordination of geographically dispersed project teams, multiple business lines and subcontractors.
- Experience with project plan development and implementation, management of project cost, schedule and performance, and managing client expectations and leveraging existing client relationships to develop additional business opportunities for Battelle.
- Assesses the project impacts of scope, schedule and budget change requests and takes requisite action. Ensures that the project is maintained within the scope, budget and schedule of the baseline agreement and changes the baseline when appropriate client directed changes are approved.
- Collaborates with the Business Development staff to establish overall proposal strategies and themes which clearly differentiates Battelle from other potential providers of service.
- Proactively communicates with clients to ensure they are an integral part of the project for clarification of requirements and regular assessment of implementation progress. Builds client relationships to sustain and expand business opportunities. Influences client opinion on future project direction.
- Provides sales support to the business development function.
- Manages staff and assigning specific duties. Determines staffing requirements, and interview, hire and train new employees, or oversee those personnel processes.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical or business/management field from an accredited institution. An advanced degree (M.S. or PhD) in a technical discipline such as analytical chemistry, chemical engineering, or the life sciences is preferred.
- 5 to 7 years prior industry experience in a project management function is required. Length of tenure may be considered over technical training.
- Background in U.S. EPA agricultural regulatory studies for new product registration and re-registration is beneficial.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- PMP Certification
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers