Cyber Reverse Engineer
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Cyber Reverse Engineer. This position is in Chantilly, VA. Come in for an interview to find out why Battelle is right for you.
Do you like solving the hardest computing problems in the world, working on research projects you are passionate about, and competitive mini basketball, and bumper pool? Battelle may be the company for you.
Battelle Cyber Engineers solve the toughest Computer Science problems in the world. We work in small agile teams to push the bounds of computing technology. Our high-powered computer labs include specialized software and hardware, so our engineers have everything they need to invent new Cyber solutions.
Our team is casual. We usually wear t-shirts and jeans. We are a close-knit group and enjoy participating in social activities outside of work. Whether it is visiting local restaurants, bowling, Korean BBQ, or paintball we always have a good time.
Battelle is committed to its employee’s professional growth. We encourage new ideas with our large Internal Research and Development (IRAD) program where engineers work on projects they are passionate about.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Collaborate with the Cyber Innovations Team to develop software systems that aid in data analytics, network-based applications, reverse engineering tasks, embedded system development, and integration of hardware.
- Identifies and articulates strengths and weaknesses of solutions, conclusions and problem approaches during technical discussions.
- Demonstrates awareness of deliverables and their role within the project plan. Identifies and executes steps necessary to complete less structured assignments with limited guidance from SMEs.
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to prepare and present technical content tailored to the client's mission. Leads technical discussions, demonstrating command of the technology and adequately fielding questions which arise.
- Contribute to Internal Research and Development (IRAD) studies and may lead small IRAD tasks.
- Seeks out technical experts for collaboration and facilitates technical discussions with lower level staff.
- Demonstrates understanding of business product offerings and contributes to marketing / business development by providing technical expertise during marketing engagements as well as supporting business development efforts led by others.
- Forms technical approach and generates technical volumes for small proposals with minimal guidance and leads Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) creation and labor estimates.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree with 4+ years’ experience in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field of study; Master’s degree with 0-6 years’ experience; or PhD with 0-2 years’ experience, or equivalent experience
- Develop software to run in user-mode or kernel-mode
- Ability to code in C or C++
- Ability to use a scripting language (Python, Perl, Ruby, etc.)
- Experience with PC and embedded systems architecture to include boot processes and OS internals
- Experience with a disassembler for reverse engineering (IDA Pro, BinaryNinja, etc.)
- Understand network protocols
- Experience with one or more assembly languages (x86, x64, ARM, MIPS, PowerPC, etc.)
- Experience with one or more debuggers (WinDbg, OllyDbg, gdb, etc.)
- Experience with reverse engineering one or more operating systems: Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, MacOS, VxWorks, QNX, RTOSs, or other custom operating systems
- Ability to demonstrate good organization, communication, problem-solving, and teamwork skills
- Knowledge of common mitigation techniques (DEP, ASLR, etc.)
- Active Secret clearance, must be a sole US citizen with the ability maintain a US government security clearance
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Participation in CTFs
- Ability to analyze assembly-level code on multiple platforms (x86, x64, ARM, MIPS, PowerPC, etc.)
- Ability to analyze network protocols throughout all layers of the network stack
- Experience with vulnerability research
- Background in software engineering and architecture
- Active Top Secret clearance
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers