Cyber Vulnerability Researcher Senior
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Senior Level Cyber Vulnerability Researcher. This position is in Chantilly, VA. Come in for an interview to find out why Battelle is right for you.
Do you like solving the hardest computing problems in the world, working on research projects you are passionate about, and competitive mini basketball, and bumper pool? Battelle may be the company for you.
Battelle Cyber Engineers solve the toughest Computer Science problems in the world. We work in small agile teams to push the bounds of computing technology. Our high-powered computer labs include specialized software and hardware, so our engineers have everything they need to invent new Cyber solutions.
Our team is casual. We usually wear t-shirts and jeans. We are a close-knit group and enjoy participating in social activities outside of work. Whether it is visiting local restaurants, bowling, Korean BBQ, or paintball we always have a good time.
Battelle is committed to its employee’s professional growth. We encourage new ideas with our large Internal Research and Development (IRAD) program where engineers work on projects they are passionate about.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Collaborate with the Cyber Innovations Team to develop software systems that aid in data analytics, network-based applications, reverse engineering tasks, embedded system development, and integration of hardware.
- Provides direction and coaching to lower level staff around strengths and weaknesses of solutions, conclusions and problem approaches.
- Utilizes understanding of project plan to ensure identified tasking aligns with deliverable and guides staff to meet deliverables. Works independently to create a finished product. Acts as principal investigator on medium programs/ tasks consisting of a multi-staff team. Identifies staffing needs and issues.
- Works with internal and external clients and partners. Communicates with client regarding schedule and project performance, manages partner relationships, and facilitates client and partner meetings. Authors and conducts briefings for clients, regulators, and stakeholders and in public forums as necessary. Demonstrates advanced knowledge of the information being presented and can be relied on to respond to client questions as they arise, engaging SMEs where appropriate.
- Conceptualizes, leads and supports multiple Internal Research and Development (IRAD) projects.
- Leads collaboration efforts including brainstorming on complex technical issues. Provides mentoring and technical guidance to lower level staff and encourages development through collaboration and the open exchange of ideas.
- Draws from understanding of business' product offerings and strategic growth vision to contribute to the development of a strategic plan and support successful, ongoing business development efforts involving Cyber programs. Coordinates and participates in Battelle-sponsored marketing events or conferences and plays an active role in identifying, cultivating, and capturing major business opportunities. May participate in industry conferences and increases company visibility through publications or online presence.
- Manages small scale proposals or major sections of large proposals, and serves as a key contributor during win theme meetings and red team reviews. Evaluates RFPs and derives requirements for deliverables, independently forms technical approach from differentiators and oversees support by lower level staff. May serve as proposal manager or Technical Volume lead on medium proposals.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field of study, or equivalent experience
- 10+ years’ experience in Vulnerability Researcher, Reverse Engineer, or related technical area
- Develop software to run in user-mode or kernel-mode
- Ability to code in C or C++
- Ability to use a scripting language (Python, Perl, Ruby, etc.)
- Experience with all of the following:
- PC and embedded systems architecture to include boot processes and OS internals
- Network protocols
- Assembly-level code on multiple platforms (x86, x64, ARM, MIPS, PowerPC, etc.)
- Knowledge of common mitigation techniques (DEP, ASLR, etc.)
- Successful experiences working with teams
- Must be a sole US citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a US government security clearance
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Ability to analyze network protocols throughout all layers of the network stack
- Background in software engineering and architecture
- Previous exposure to malware reverse engineering
- Active Secret or Top Secret Clearance
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers.