Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Molecular Virologist. This position is located on the Roybal Campus in Atlanta, Georgia.
Battelle’s Technical On-site Professional Services (TOPS) is a part of the Contract Research business within Battelle providing laboratory support to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). We are currently seeking a Molecular Biologist to join a team focused on influenza vaccine research and development. The successful candidate will play a critical role in the development of new approaches to generate influenza candidate vaccine viruses in compliance with good laboratory practice (GLP) regulatory requirements. The incumbent will perform molecular cloning and characterization of viruses and quantification of virus yield in eggs. Required qualifications include a Master of Science or PhD degree in Biological or Biochemical Science as well as working knowledge of molecular biology, cell biology and microbiology procedures and practices.
The position is located in the Influenza Division (ID) of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), Office of Infectious Disease (OID).
TOPS is working with HHS/CDC in supporting efforts for pandemic influenza preparedness. The CDC ID provides critical standards for pandemic preparedness to the U.S. State Public Health Laboratories and acts as a World Health Organization (WHO) reference laboratory supporting international influenza surveillance and response networks. Rapid genetic and antigenic characterization of circulating viral strains coupled with vaccine development are essential components to increase pandemic readiness and response. TOPS is supporting CDC in research and development efforts to eliminate data gaps in influenza surveillance by increasing the diagnostic and immunization tools available to clinical providers, public health laboratories and domestic and international partners. Relocation support is not available for this position.
- Develop new vectors or methods to improve efficiency of virus rescue by reverse genetics
- Construct and characterize various customized plasmid DNA molecules.
- Cloning of influenza virus genomes into plasmid vectors by RT-PCR.
- Characterize parent and rescued viruses by genomic sequencing, analyze and report results.
- Recover engineered candidate vaccine viruses from cell cultures transfected with reverse genetics plasmids in compliance with GLP guidelines.
- Review and update candidate vaccine virus SOP and workflows to ensure GLP compliance and preparedness.
- Develop new methods to improve vaccine virus antigen yield from eggs and cell cultures.
- Prepare study reports for leadership and manuscripts for publication in scientific journals.
- Disseminate findings through intramural presentations and at national scientific meetings
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- PhD with 0- 2 years of experience, M.S. with 2 - 5 years experience, or BS with 8 -10 years of experience in Virology, Molecular/Cellular Biology, Microbiology, or Biochemistry
- Applicants must have a solid background in molecular biology and extensive cloning experience with various vectors
- Extensive interpersonal and management skills, with ability to work independently and collaboratively with other scientists and laboratorians.
- Meticulous bench working habit, precise record-keeping, and strong organizational and communication skills.
- The selected candidate will have to obtain and maintain a CDC security clearance.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers