Computer Programmer Intern (Summer 2018)
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Computer Programmer Intern for Summer 2018. This position is located in Richmond, Kentucky.
The Computer Programmer Intern will support Battelle’s Blue Grass Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant (BGCAPP). This group specializes in the chemistry and engineering of a first-of-a-kind processing facility that will destroy the last of the United States stockpiled arsenal of cold-war-era chemical weapons, in compliance with international treaty. The intern will perform entry level programming, software testing and requirements gathering. Codes in C# utilizing DevExpress controls. Assists with reporting of data.
- Assists with major technical projects or major phases of significant technical projects within time and budget constraints.
- Develops code based on known requirements to support Laboratory Information Management System.
- Conducts peer reviews of code written by senior programming staff.
- Supports team members with projects as needed, including on-going client needs and business development efforts.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program in Computer Science. Only equivalent science degrees with a verifiable undergraduate degree, minor or concentration in Computer Science will be considered to meet the education requirement for this position.
- Must have at least 2 years of undergraduate coursework completed.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated initiative to be a self-starter with a desire to learn that extends beyond the classroom.
- Proven ability to successfully work independently or as part of a larger team
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Microsoft Excel
- Valid driver's license.
- Must be a U.S. citizen. The applicant selected will be subject to a national agency check security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements to be placed in a Public Trust Position.
- Drug-free workplace; urine testing for drugs are mandatory.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Students entering in their senior year or final semester of undergraduate studies are preferred.
- Understanding of source code control
- Understanding of software development methodologies
- Understanding of patterns and coding best practices
- Experience interacting with data stored in relational databases, such as SQL Server
- Strong course work in programming applications with database layers preferred.
- Course work or experience demonstrating programming in C# Winforms using DevExpress controls, preferred.
Additional selection and retention criteria will include the ability to:
- Successfully pass medical screen, including the ability to wear a respirator and other PPE, lift up to 50 lbs--may involve work in close proximity of toxic chemicals.
- Flexibility to respond to urgent project requests and/or changing priorities. This position may be required to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, holidays and on-call.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers