Laboratory Safety Intern (Summer 2018)
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Laboratory Safety Intern. This position is located in Richmond, KY.
Battelle’s Blue Grass Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant (BGCAPP) group specializes in the chemistry and engineering of a first-of-a-kind processing facility that will destroy the last of the United States stockpiled arsenal of cold-war-era chemical weapons, in compliance with international treaty. This position is available for summer 2018.
- Assist in conducting Job Hazard Analysis on procedures to reduce or eliminate the hazards associated with the different job task before the procedures are put into use. Assist in performing hazard assessment on job task as they are being performed by personnel to verify that all hazards have been identified.
- Assist in review and approval of laboratory chemicals before they are ordered to identify hazards and appropriate mitigation methods to use the chemicals.
- Assist in conducting Job Hazard Analysis on procedures to reduce or eliminate the hazards associated with the different job task before procedures are put in use.
- Assist in a variety of duties to include the review, administration and implementation of occupational health and safety programs in a laboratory setting, reviews health and safety conditions in and around the laboratory, performs safety audits, inspection and investigations.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Students must be actively pursuing a Bachelor's degree in occupational safety, industrial hygiene, health sciences or chemistry with at least two years of undergraduate coursework completed with a minimum GPA 3.0 in the area of study.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Applicant must be able to work both independently and as part of a team; demonstrated organizational skills desired.
- Proven capability to work with minimal guidance.
- Valid driver's license.
- Must be a US Citizen. The applicant selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet and maintain eligibility requirements to be placed in a Public Trust Position.
- Drug-free workplace; urine testing for drugs are mandatory.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers