Technical Lead / Senior Cyber Engineer
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Technical Lead / Senior Cyber Engineer. This position is in Springfield, VA with anticipated move to Chantilly, VA in early 2018.? Come in for an interview to find out why Battelle is right for you.
Do you like solving the hardest computing problems in the world, working on research projects you are passionate about, and competitive mini basketball, and bumper pool? Battelle may be the company for you.
Spanning full product lifecycles from research to development to operational deployment, Battelle’s Cyber staff provide focused expertise and solutions to develop rapid prototypes and advanced technological solutions. Instead of providing solutions to every cybersecurity challenge, we apply our very unique capabilities in cyber software and embedded systems, and especially at the intersection of those two domains, to custom projects from silicon though worldwide networks.
Battelle Cyber Engineers solve the toughest Computer Science problems in the world. We work in small agile teams to push the bounds of computing technology. Our high-powered computer labs include specialized software and hardware, so our engineers have everything they need to invent new Cyber solutions.?
Our team is casual. We usually wear t-shirts and jeans. We are a close-knit group and enjoy participating in social activities outside of work. Whether it is visiting local restaurants, bowling, Korean BBQ, or paintball we always have a good time.
Battelle is committed to its employee’s professional growth. We encourage new ideas with our large Internal Research and Development (IRAD) program where engineers work on projects they are passionate about.
- Lead a team performing computer network exploitation: embedded and software reverse engineering (RE), vulnerability research (VR), and application development for software and embedded systems
- Decompose customer’s broad objectives into mission vision with actionable tasking and requirement sets
- Roadmap open-ended research into risk aware time boxes
- Perform systems integration functions to coordinate research and development between contractors, subcontractors, and outside component providers
- Engage teams across multiple locations, motivating performance and maintaining accountability
- Act as a primary liaison between the Battelle team and customer to communicate progress against desired capabilities, while communicating temporally relevant tasking back to team
- Collaborate with the Cyber Innovations Team to develop software systems that aid in data analytics, network-based applications, reverse engineering tasks, embedded system development, and integration of hardware.
- Provide direction and coaching to lower level staff around strengths and weaknesses of solutions, conclusions and problem approaches.
- Utilize understanding of project plan to ensure identified tasking aligns with deliverable and guides staff to meet deliverables. Work independently to create a finished product. Act as principal investigator on medium programs/ tasks consisting of a multi-staff team. Identify staffing needs and issues.
- Work with internal and external clients and partners. Communicate with client regarding schedule and project performance, manage partner relationships, and facilitate client and partner meetings. Author and conduct briefings for clients, regulators, and stakeholders and in public forums as necessary. Demonstrate advanced knowledge of the information being presented and can be relied on to respond to client questions as they arise, engaging SMEs where appropriate.
- Conceptualize, lead and support multiple Internal Research and Development (IRAD) projects.
- Lead collaboration efforts including brainstorming on complex technical issues. Provide mentoring and technical guidance to lower level staff and encourages development through collaboration and the open exchange of ideas.
- Draw from understanding of business' product offerings and strategic growth vision to contribute to the development of a strategic plan and support successful, ongoing business development efforts involving Cyber programs. Coordinate and participate in Battelle-sponsored marketing events or conferences and plays an active role in identifying, cultivating, and capturing major business opportunities. May participate in industry conferences and increases company visibility through publications or online presence.
- Manage major sections of large proposals, and serves as a key contributor during win theme meetings and red team reviews. Evaluate RFPs and derives requirements for deliverables, independently forms technical approach from differentiators and oversees support by lower level staff. May serve as proposal manager or Technical Volume lead on medium proposals.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree with 10-15 years’ experience in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field of study, or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrable experience leading technical teams in both research and development
- Demonstrable experience in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science emphasizing embedded system software/firmware design, reverse engineering, and vulnerability research
- Experience reverse engineering one or more assembly languages (x86, x64, ARM, MIPS, PowerPC, etc.)
- Proven ability to translate customer objectives into delivered projects through ideation, research, and development phases.
- Solid understanding of PC and embedded systems architecture to include boot processes and OS internals
- Ability to demonstrate good organization, communication, problem-solving and teamwork skills.
- Must be a?sole US citizen?with an active TS clearance and SCI eligibility
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Master’s degree with 7-11 years’ experience; or PhD with 4-9 years’ experience, or equivalent experience.
- Ability to analyze and reverse engineer network protocols throughout all layers of the network stack
- Ability to analyze assembly-level code on multiple platforms (x86, x64, ARM, MIPS, PowerPC, etc.)
- Experience with one or more of the following:
- Kernel level development/driver development for real-time operating systems (RTOSs) such as embedded Linux, QNX, and VxWorks
- Debugging embedded systems and RTOSs using embedded debugging tools
- Wireless vulnerability research (i.e. cellular, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth)
- Fielding embedded and computer software
- Leading teams across multiple locations including subcontractors
- Systems engineering and integration
- Atlassian tool suite and Agile methodology
- Writing technical contributions to business development and proposal efforts
- Knowledge and application of program management basics
- Current Full Scope Polygraph
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers.