Clinical Research Nurse
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Clinical Research Nurse to work full time. This position is located at the Joint Base San Antonio in support of the Air Force Medical Service Enterprise supporting Clinical Investigations Program and Clinical Research missionin San Antonio, TX.
The Clinical Research Nurse provides services and support compatible with the medical facilities operating capacity and equipment to help organize and oversee GLOBAL Air Force Medical Service enterprise-wide, medical research, clinical and translational research, investigative activities and resources. The incumbent will provide patient-oriented research programs oriented to mechanisms of human disease, therapeutic interventions, clinical trials, development of new Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPGs), technologies, epidemiologic and behavioral studies or outcomes, and health services related to military medicine. Translational research activities will be designed to connect current trends in patient care with new updated state of the art modalities required of military medicine worldwide.
This position will be part of a team to provide technical professional services within Joint Base San Antonio in support of the Air Force Medical Service Enterprise supporting Clinical Investigations Program and Clinical Research mission. The incumbent will collaborate with enterprise-wide Principal Investigators to develop research protocols that includes human subjects research and associated Institutional Review Board (IRB) regulatory compliance approvals for the various pilot evaluations to also include animal subjects/ Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) approvals. Specifically:
- Provides medical support and technical expertise as a member of the research team to complete research-related tasks in compliance with federal, DoD and AF research guidelines
- Manages all areas of clinical trials, including protocol development, regulatory submissions, and data management.
- Prepares protocol submissions, informed consent forms, annual reports, and study amendments for appropriate IRBs of record and provides documentation submissions in accordance with federal and local regulations.
- Develops and maintains study source documents and Case Report Forms, prepares study timelines, and when necessary, reports adverse events to the appropriate government principal investigators.
- Support government executive director (s) in the planning, evaluation, implementation, and documentation of scientific research utilizing specimens for clinical projects
- Coordinate clinical experiment scheduling and collection of data, works with clinical research assistants, recruits clinical study participants, provides and provides ethical oversight in support of the clinical study
- Document results of study participants in accordance with protocols; schedules and coordinates research resources; gathers, compilation, organizes, analysis and reports research information and study results; sets up and assigns protocol procedures and animal experiments; monitors budget plans and management; researches and prepares equipment and supplies in accordance with institutional procedures; prepares regulatory and administrative compliance documentation; preparation and delivery of required reports and other research documentation
- May require occasional weekend and evening hours.
- Ensures compliance with standards of care and practice in accordance with all established policies, procedures, and guidelines used in the medical treatment facility.
- Assesses participants for any adverse events or concerns they may have, and records information/data into a study database
- Contributes to recruitment strategies and ensures initial & ongoing eligibility of participants for each assigned research study
- Consults often with principal investigators, project managers, and laboratory manager; apprises them of project status
- May engage in data entry and quality control of participant study data
- May collaborate in the development and writing of protocols and consent forms, as appropriate
- May conduct literature reviews or perform other research support activities
- May participate in or assist with the coordination of conferences and client meetings
- Prepares reports, presentations and other written material in support of the project/protocol.
- Assists in planning and execution of all aspects, strategic plan, goals and objectives.
- Communicates and collaborates with a diverse group of people for the purposes of informing the healthcare team of plans/actions, for teaching/education to benefit project outcome.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle’s Legal Department.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing AND minimum of 2 years clinical RN experience either within a hospital setting or clinical research facility; experience running Phase I clinical trials OR
- Master's Degree in Nursing AND some clinical RN experience either within a hospital setting or clinical research facility; experience running Phase I clinical trials
- Current RN licensure in the state of Texas
- Ability to work in a complex research setting with personnel from diverse disciplines
- Certification or ability to be certified in CPR, First Aid, use of AED
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proficient in written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Must possess and maintain certification to conduct human research such as Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) or Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) training
- Superior organizational, clinical management, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, ability to communicate effectively and build relationships.
- Ability to travel to attend required training up to two weeks per year.
- Ability to obtain an active favorable National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI)
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Demonstrated research experience in examining data from clinical studies
- Two (2) years experience, preferably within the last three (3) years in clinical research and research design.
- Current certification, such as Certified Clinical Research Coordinator (CCRC).
- Experience working in a large corporate or academic setting.
- Experience in writing medical procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to write small technical reports, publications, and proposals
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.