Immunology Lead/Research Scientist
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking an Immunology Lead/Research Scientist. This position is located in Frederick, MD.
The Immunology Team Lead will support research studies investigating host/pathogen interactions of high consequence viral pathogens. This includes performing experiments to monitor disease states in animal models as well as immunology and virology-based assays supporting at the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Integrated Research Facility located at Fort Detrick in Frederick, Maryland. Working within an existing team, the Lead will perform research projects that will be focused on studying the host/pathogen mechanisms that regulate innate immunity and adaptive immune response, and mechanisms of immunopathogenesis of virus infection. He/she will be expected to be proficient in the use and maintenance of all equipment and procedures for the assigned area with ability to cross-train in related support areas.
Research Duties include:
- Maintain an accurate inventory of specimens, reagents, and supplies as required by the department
- Monitor workflow to the established standards and procedures.
- Oversee and manage the work of reporting technical staff.
- Encourage the ongoing development of the staff.
- Conduct a continuing analysis of policies, and practices to keep management informed of new developments.
- Direct the preparation and maintenance of reports as are necessary to carry out the functions of the department.
- Develop and administer programs, procedures, and guidelines to help align the workforce with the strategic goals
- Flow cytometry acquisition and analysis
- Isolation of immune cells from tissues
- Isolation of PBMC from human and non-human primate peripheral blood
- Other immune assays such as ELISA, multiplex cytokine analysis, and ELISpot
- Analyzing experimental data
- Working in BSL-3 and BSL-4 environment upon completion of required training
- Method writing and development
General Lab Duties include:
- Maintain freezer and reagent inventories, supplies, common lab stocks, and lab equipment
- Participate in general laboratory housekeeping to include biohazard waste management
- Experience with flow cytometry analysis software such as FlowJo
- Experience with FACSDiva and BD LSRII Fortessa
- Basic understanding of laboratory information management systems (LIMS)
- Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- US citizenship or permanent residence.
- Bachelor’s degree in the biological sciences with at least 5 years’ lab experience in immunology, virology, molecular biology or related fields.
- Experience with multicolor flow cytometry acquisition and analysis.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, oral and written communication and organizational skills, ability to work independently, design experiments, and analyze data are required.
- Ability to work felxible hours including evenings/night hours.
- Ability to obtain/maintain certification in Chemical Personnel Reliability Program and/or Biological Personnel Reliability Program.
- Ability to obtain/maintain CDC Select Agent Program approval.
- Ability to obtain/maintain DoJ Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval.
- Must be willing to work in a biosafety level 2 (BSL2) and/or 3 (BSL3) and/or 4 (BSL 4) environment and able to wear appropriate respiratory protection.
- Must be willing to be immunized with licensed and FDA approved Investigational New Drugs (IND) recommended for persons at risk to occupational exposure of biological agents
- Must be willing to participate in periodic drug screening.
- Individual must be able to meet the requirements for Public Trust Level 5b.
- The candidate must also pass government ANACI and Select Agent background investigations.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- MS in biological science
- Previous BSL-3 or BSL-4 containment experience
- Experience with viral Select Agents
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers