Toxicologist-Principal Research Scientist
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Toxicologist-Principal Research Scientist. This position is located in West Jefferson, OH.
Battelle's Biomedical Research Center team includes 200 scientific staff with varied expertise, including aerobiology, safety toxicology, and efficacy, pathology, microbiology, and chemistry, among other disciplines, who work together to develop and/or test novel drugs and medical countermeasures from discovery to FDA approval. The Toxicologist will work with these cross functional groups to enable our scientific programs to continuously exceed expectations. The Battelle Biomedical Research Center is a high containment facility consisting of Biosafety level 1, 2, and 3 laboratories as well as highly toxic material test facilities.
- Design and manage toxicology research as a Study Director/Principal Investigator
- Design and manage toxicology research under Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) regulations
- Analyze and evaluate problems to develop sound experimental techniques for scientific studies
- Coordinate and perform data analysis and prepare test reports
- Present data at client meetings or conferences
- Train and mentor junior technical staff
- Prepare cost and schedule estimates on proposed projects/assays in toxicology
- Work around or with hazardous materials may be required and would be performed by following all safety guidelines to minimize exposure
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Ph.D. in a relevant field (e.g. toxicology, pharmacology, veterinary medicine) or D.V.M with at least 2-5 years of experience post academia.
- Working knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices regulations.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills, teamwork, and attention to detail.
- Must be a US citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD clearance.
- Ability to obtain/maintain certification in Chemical Personnel Reliability Program (NACLC required) and/or Biological Personnel Reliability Program (Single Scope Background Investigation required for entry- this is background investigation performed for DoD TOP SECRET clearances), and Biological Suitability Assessment Program.
- Ability to obtain/maintain DoJ Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval.
- Ability to obtain/maintain CDC approval to work with BSAT material.
- Must be willing to work in a biosafety level 2 (BSL2) and/or 3 (BSL3) (biocontainment) environment and able to wear appropriate respiratory protection.
- Must be willing to be immunized with FDA licensed vaccines and Investigational New Drugs (IND) recommended for persons at risk to occupational exposure of biological agents.
- Must be willing to participate in random drug screening.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- 5 or more years relevant experience
- DABT Certification
- Experience working with extremely hazardous chemicals/biologicals
- Knowledge of US Army rules and regulations surrounding chemical/biological agent operations
- Understanding of GLP and ISO regulations
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers.