BioSecurity Research Scientist
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Our Applied Genomics and Biology Business Line is currently seeking a BioSecurity Research Scientist to support multi-disciplined teams to execute government and commercial programs focused on implementing massively parallel sequencing (MPS) technologies combined with high performance computing techniques for human forensics. This position is located in Columbus, OH.
The BioSecurity Research Scientist’s responsibilities include the following:
- Provide technical guidance to multi-discipline teams in the development of novel computational and bioinformatics products, effectively facilitating productive communications between data scientists, computer programmers, and biological scientists
- Evaluate, develop, implement, and integrate complex data analytics software applications, to include overseeing the development and documentation of new algorithms, development of useful reference databases and scripting to populate, coding (Python, Perl, Java, and related languages), and build-out of the user interface
- Provide support in experimental design, analysis, and integration of high-content data generating capabilities (e.g., massively parallel sequencing, synthetic biology, and/or genetic editing platforms)
- Create new software tools to enable novel bioinformatics approaches
- Ensure effective and frequent communications amongst technical performers, senior project leadership, and line management
- Capture technical progress in technical reports, briefings, marketing collateral, and peer-reviewed articles for presentation to management and customers
- Train junior scientists
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- A minimum of a PhD in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Computational Biology, Computer Science or equivalent with a strong focus on algorithm development, data structures and scientific programming with 2yrs experience.
- Strong statistical analytic skills, with proven experience in the analysis of complex data sets and in the development of data-driven statistical/computational models
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required, including productive operation within a team-oriented environment
- Familiarity with classical machine learning and emergent deep learning techniques as applied to interpretation of biological data and constructing useful predictive models
- Sole U.S. citizenship, with the ability to obtain and maintain required government security clearances as a condition of employment; a recent or current security clearance is a strong plus.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Experience with MPS-based technologies is required, with a working knowledge of synthetic biology systems and applications
- Demonstrated expertise and experience in scripting languages, with knowledge of Linux and cloud environments
- Practical experience working with microbial pathogens and/or toxins of importance to public health, agriculture, and/or the environment
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers