Senior Research Scientist - Opioid and Pain Management Research
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Senior Research Scientist of Opioid and Pain Management Research. This position is ideally located in Baltimore, Maryland.
Responsible for making significant contributions to the research, organization, management, and business performance of a primary and major research program in opioid use and/or the interaction of opioid use and pain management. The selected candidate will be a lead contributor to a grant and contract research portfolio working among and with a staff of PhD, MS and BS level scientists. Will play a key role in refining and executing a long-term strategic plan which contributes to the group’s overall operating results. Makes significant contributions to all opioid related marketing and business development activities and client relationships as appropriate in the pursuit of business to support defined strategic business plans. Manages staff resources in one or multiple locations. Collaborates with adjacent research programs in tobacco, marijuana, alcohol, and health communications.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of strategic and operational business plans which define the market focus and operational services the research team will provide to clients.
- Organizes and leads successful proposal efforts for projects (through the formulation, proposal and submission of competitive grants and contracts) in the strategic specialty area of opioid use.
- Actively engages in outstanding research and publication in an area of specialization.
- Manages resource expenditures including percent time on project for staff, capital equipment, marketing, and internal research and development budgets.
- Plans, integrates and markets group capabilities and services as they relate to client needs and interests, working in collaboration with Battelle’s business development and marketing and communications teams
- Establishes and maintains contacts with key clients and manages long-term client relationships to cultivate and develop leads to maximize the business potential.
- Drives the highest level of research project management to ensure all projects are effectively scoped, expensed and delivered as planned in line with client expectations. Manages sales, proposals, and bid/no-bid decision processes.
- May contribute to or lead manpower planning and assures appropriate staffing levels and skill mix commensurate with the business. Is responsible for staff assignments and managing human resource activities such as developing recruiting strategy and hiring staff, establishing performance goals and appraising performance, and providing opportunities for career development. Provides necessary training and mentor opportunities for staff. Manages relationships of staff and other groups.
- Integrates Battelle capabilities and services in this and other businesses as they apply to client interests.
- Translates client needs and future direction with Battelle capabilities into mutual business relationships.
- Ensures staff conduct research and development activities within the established business ethics, safety and quality policies and procedures. Reviews and approves, as necessary, proposals, reports and articles. Directs and organizes staff assignments to various projects.
- Works across Battelle market sectors, global businesses and national laboratories to ensure continuity and coordination in the areas of business development, client management, program management and opportunity expansion. Plans effective teaming arrangements, establishes shared accountabilities and shared returns, and monitors results.
- May plan and initiate the group's IR&D investments and monitor progress to assure consistency with the business thrusts and identified market needs.
- Has and maintains professional reputation in key scientific and client circles by participating in strategic scientific conferences and meetings, key client engagements and working groups relevant to the desired area of research.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- PhD AND 5 or more years of experience in a relevant health-related discipline such as social sciences, behavioral sciences, biological sciences, nursing, education, public health or medicine.
- Master’s Degree AND 8 or more years of experience in a relevant health-related discipline such as social sciences, behavioral sciences, biological sciences, nursing, education, public health or medicine.
- Bachelor’s Degree AND 10 or more years of experience in a relevant health-related discipline such as social sciences, behavioral sciences, biological sciences, nursing, education, public health or medicine.
- Established reputation for their research initiatives, as evidenced by numerous peer-reviewed publications and participation in professional organizations and national meetings.
- Demonstrated success in obtaining funding from government, foundation or private sources through grants, contracts or sole-source funding is essential. Must be in specialty – opioids and/or pain management.
- Must have sufficient communication skills to effectively interact with top management internally and within client organizations, subcontractors, consultants, and staff.
- Must be knowledgeable of current and probable future practices, trends and information affecting his/her business and organization; knows the competition; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
- Requires thorough understanding of the business markets and industries involved.
- Effective strategic planning, integration, human relations, sales and prioritization skills. Requires evidenced ability to lead others in the achievement of goals.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- A doctoral degree (PhD, PharmD, MD) in a relevant health-related discipline such as social sciences, behavioral science, biological science, nursing, education, public health or medicine.
- The incumbent typically has 8 or more years of research experience in the field of pain management and/or opioids.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers