Facilities Project Manager III - Mechanical Engineering
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Facilities Project Manager III. This position is located in Columbus, Ohio.
To plan, organize, oversee, and implement various construction programs, providing leadership, direction, and control for all activities within the areas of design, architecture, and engineering, which are associated with multi-million dollar construction projects. Manage and coordinate the work of highly skilled staff and consultants with particular emphasis on meeting schedules, budgets, business plans, and long-range strategies of the organization. Provide engineering support for design and installation of complex architectural, mechanical and/or electrical building systems as well as providing input for long range infrastructure systems planning. Manage various projects concurrently.
- Develop and execute approved plans, ensuring projects are completed in an efficient, cost effective, and timely manner. Support the Facility Strategic Planning agenda through construction, relocation, and consolidation efforts, while meeting the requirements of Facility Operations and the research groups with the most economical and feasible methods possible. Track and monitor progress, ensuring efficiency and contributing to profitability for Battelle. Plan and manage diverse and unique projects such as mechanical or other systems improvements. Set goals including the determination of methods, materials and controls that will assure safe, economical and dependable operation of building systems delivered on time and within budget, without disrupting operations.
- Direct, review, and approve work performed by consulting engineers and contractors. Review design work for compliance with Battelle requirements, building codes and legal requirements and industry and community standards of workmanship and appearance. Ensure that all work is performed with due consideration of safety, including health, environment and protection of Battelle property and research.
- Perform feasibility studies, review data obtained or produced to assure accuracy. Prepare periodic reports or other data for presentation to upper management, research groups, government agencies and/or clients, clearly indicating details and results such as record of achievement on established goals, recommended improvements, cost savings, etc. Participate in the planning and development of the capital budgets, and long range plans for the King Avenue Campus and the West Jefferson Sites.
- Make contacts, negotiate, achieve conflict resolution, and obtain written approval from government officials. Assure all requirements are met in accordance with applicable laws, rules, and regulations issued by OSHA, OBC, FDA, NFPA, and other federal, state, and local regulatory agencies such as the Development Regulation Division for the City of Columbus (Code and Zoning Officials), and the Ohio EPA (Compliance Officials).
- Coordinate engineering and construction activities for assigned projects with all departments, groups, and staff. Consistently cooperate with, assist, and involve managers and technical staff within internal Facilities departments and numerous research managers and staff at all levels throughout the organization.
- May oversee work of lower level Facility Project Managers.
- Keep abreast of the latest developments in technology, design, engineering systems, construction methods, code and regulatory requirements.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s Degree in architecture or mechanical engineering or related, plus 8 - 10 years of engineering construction experience in diverse R&D design and construction, with specific experience related to chemical and/or biological facilities, in support of experimentation involving hazardous agents OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience in E&D estimating.
- Familiarity with ventilation (preferably industrial), plumbing, and control system modifications.
- Must have proven ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management and technical staff in written and verbal form.
- Must be self-directing and able to adapt to quickly changing conditions.
- Must have a good understanding in the areas of management, business, and accounting, plus a working knowledge of the OBC or other various government regulatory requirements.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Ohio licensed architect or professional engineer.
- General knowledge of sustainable/energy-efficient building practices is.
- Proficiency in using AutoCAD and project management software (e.g., Microsoft Project).
- Possession of the ability to lead people, promote teamwork, and maintain a good rapport with clients, and government officials.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers