Senior Tobacco and Marijuana Health Research Leader
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Battelle is currently seeking a Senior Tobacco and Marijuana Health Research Leader with an emphasis on tobacco and marijuana research. This position is located in Columbus, OH.
We are seeking a highly qualified individual whose leadership in research in a tobacco-related specialty area is regarded as innovative, highly important and nationally recognized. The selected candidate must have demonstrated success of academic achievement and the ability to obtain funding for research programs through competitive grants and contracts. This individual exhibits ingenuity, creativity and resourcefulness in the application and/or development of significantly advanced scientific principles, theories and concepts. Frequently exposes and resolves problems associated with the development and implementation of strategic research programs. Plans and conducts R&D programs, and advocates application of discipline to programs in areas critical to long-range objectives.
The selected candidate will be a lead contributor to grant and contract research working among and with a staff of PhD, MS and BS level scientists who are conducting on-going research currently directed at understanding the behavior of cigarette smoking and the consequent exposure to smoke-delivered toxins. The selected candidate will be responsible for helping to grow the research program (both the tobacco research and associated areas of interest), overseeing the quality of the work performed and for ensuring effective staff development. The candidate will also consult with management and other scientists on long-range planning pertaining to new or projected areas of research growth.
• Organizes and leads successful research projects in strategic areas (current emphasis on tobacco smoking and human exposure to tobacco products), or with strategic clients.
• Is accountable for high quality deliverables, satisfied clients, and sound financial management.
• Ability to generate project support, delegate work, provide training, technical direction and oversight to mid-level staff, and mentor those staff so that they can develop the research, business development and project managements skills needed to assume future senior level positions themselves.
• Organizes and leads successful proposal efforts for projects (through the formulation, proposal and submission of competitive grants and contracts) in strategic specialty areas.
• Contributes substantially to planning and executing marketing and project development activities in specialized area within established budget.
• Demonstrates initiative in identifying areas of growth and conceiving ideas for research programs and projects and contributes to the development of a strategic plan to grow and sustain a successful research group.
• Maintains his/her own client contacts and generates work for self and 4-6 junior/mid-level staff, ~$2M/year.
• Oversees quality of work performed and monitors business risks on contracts that require a broad array of skills across our business unit and other business units within Battelle.
• Identifies areas of growth for the group, coordinates department response to new contracts.
• Actively engages in outstanding research and publication in an area of specialization.
• Establishes and maintains professional relationships with clients and internal colleagues.
• Works effectively and collaboratively with researchers and support staff at varying levels within the organization.
• Maintains a growing national or international reputation.
• Provides management oversight to research program, including developing plans to grow program in strategic areas, and implementing plans to hire staff as approved.
• Provides responsible, competent technical advice to management.
• Thorough understanding of the administrative nature of both the grant and contracting processes.
• Performs other assigned duties.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
• A doctoral degree (PhD) in analytical, physical or environmental chemistry and 8+ years experience.
• Advanced knowledge in the use of analytical chemistry and human exposure assessment to solve complex research problems.
• Established reputation in the public health and/or analytical chemistry community with demonstrated publication record in an area of expertise.
• Makes presentations at technical conferences and client workshops, sits on advisory committees, practiced at providing technical expertise for policy-making decisions.
• Experience cultivating, selling and managing large, technically complex projects that include collaboration across multiple scientific disciplines.
• Large program ($1-10M) management experience, including conducting multidisciplinary projects with human subject testing, IRB and OMB requirements.
• Demonstrated track record of successful business development.
• Current grant(s) funding (at least 1) in the area of tobacco or human exposure assessment.
• Willingness to travel inside the United States and overseas on a limited basis (less than 25% time on travel.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers