Supervisor, Histology Lab Operations
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Supervisor, Histology Lab Operations. This position is located in West Jefferson, OH.
Provides supervision of approximately 10-25 Histology Technicians and their focused activities. The Supervisor plans, organizes and assists with assigning work necessary for the execution of laboratory tasks, as well as assures adequate physical plant and equipment capabilities exist to run projects. Provides study support to discipline and task leaders.
- Supervises certified and non-certified histology technicians performing embedding, microtoming, staining, IHC, QC of histology slides, and archiving
- Troubleshoot and/or performs routine and complex histological procedures.
- Write and review histology Standard Operating Procedures.
- Uses computerized equipment and records data from tests.
- Perform staff scheduling, goal planning, and staff reviews.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Performs a variety of tasks from routine H&E staining to Immunohistochemistry staining.
- May perform necropsies and tissue trimming for microscopic examination, data recording and performing quality control reviews in accordance with Good Laboratory Practices (GLP).
- Routine Operation of various histology laboratory equipment.
- Conducts standard and non-standard tasks working alone or under the close supervision and guidance of more experienced staff.
- Understands and follows relevant Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs), Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Study Protocol requirements regarding all laboratory activities assigned.
- Carcinogen Use, Laboratory Animal Handling, National Toxicology Program (NTP) work, Personnel Air Purifying Respirator usage (including "dust mast" and PAPR), Blood borne Pathogen and/or Infectious Waste Handling.
- Uses proper record keeping to document work activities.
- Develops a good working knowledge of laboratory equipment and experimental procedures and applies this knowledge in the performance of assigned laboratory tasks.
- Reads assigned SOPs promptly to remain in compliance with Battelle policies and regulations and follows health and safety requirements that are posted or within relevant SOPs.
- May assist in other related areas to include: off-site pathology (BBRC) based on needs and skills.
- Reports to Manager of Pathology.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Requires a minimum of five years experience in a histology laboratory setting.
- Must be certified as a Histology Technician, HT (ASCP) or Histotechnologist, HTL (ASCP).
- Knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures within histology field to include but not limited to: tissue embedding, staining, microtomy, quality control of tissues, and tissue/slide inventory.
- Working knowledge of GLP procedures, knowledge of all SOPs, SOWs, health and safety procedures, the Animal Welfare Act (if working in a vivarium), and other appropriate specifications.
- Competent in both microtoming paraffin blocks as well as operation of cryostat.
- Adhere to chemical agent, facility, and bio-facility safety requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to be organized, multitask, communicate effectively with a team and diverse individuals, and desire to learn new skills.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Sufficiently medically fit to do work in a lab wearing appropriate respiratory equipment and perform assigned duties.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills for frequent interaction with management, technical staff and auditors.
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
- Must be willing to work in a biosafety level 2 (BSL2) and/or 3 (BSL3) environment and able to wear appropriate respiratory protection.
- Must be willing to be immunized with licensed and FDA approved vaccines and medications recommended for persons at risk to occupational exposure of biological agents
- Must be willing to participate in periodic drug screening.
- Must be willing to work evening, weekend, and holiday hours.
- Newly hired employees are subject to a 90-day introductory period, during which their performance is evaluated by supervision.
Additional requirements may be requested at a future date:
- Ability to obtain/maintain certification in Chemical Personnel Reliability Program and/or Biological Personnel Reliability Program.
- Ability to obtain/maintain DoJ Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval.
- Ability to obtain/maintain CDC Select Agent Program approval.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Necropsy experience.
- Bachelor's degree a minimum of 7 years of experience in the field of histology.
- 5 years of previous experience in supervising technicians.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers.