Biology Intern (Summer 2018)
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology, and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Battelle’s CBRNE Defense team is currently seeking a Biology Intern for Summer 2018. This position is located in Columbus, Ohio.
Our Applied Genomics and Biology Business Line is currently seeking a Biology Intern to provide support to government and commercial programs focused on the development, evaluation, and implementation of materials, devices, and techniques designed to detect, provide protection against, and mitigate the effects of chemical, biological, and radiological hazards. This position is located in Columbus, OH.
- Supporting the execution of experiments rooted in microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, or virology within structured regulatory and quality frameworks (e.g., ISO 9001:2008 and GLP)
- Participation in data compilation adhering to accepted practices
- Presentation and reporting of progress and results to senior scientists
- Active participation to maintain laboratory equipment and facilities within structured quality frameworks (e.g., ISO 9001:2008 and GLP)
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s Degree program in the life sciences (e.g., biology, genetics, zoology, biochemistry, microbiology, virology, and/or molecular biology)
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA
- Ability and willingness to work in biological safety level (BSL) 2 laboratories
- Sufficiently medically fit to work in the laboratory to perform assigned duties
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Good written and oral communication skills
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain government security clearances
- Practical experience working with bacteria or viruses (i.e., demonstrated proficiency in aseptic technique)
- Practical experience with bioanalytical techniques (e.g., PCR, ELISA, DNA sequencing)
- Experience with Microsoft Windows operating system and Microsoft Office desired.
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers