Human Centric Design/ Design Intern (Summer 2018)
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Human Centric Design/ Design Intern to work with our Human Centric Design Team in Battelle's Medical Devices Business. This position is for Summer Semester 2018 and located in Columbus, Ohio.
We believe that internships are a vital part of your education and growth as a designer. Therefore, we work hard to assign work experiences that not only build upon your previous classes, but also provide some context for the coursework to come. This position will also include an introduction to the numerous other disciplines and skillsets that typically comprise a project team such that the candidate will gain a more complete understanding of the Human Centric Design process.
As a member of the Human Centric Design team, you will be a utility player on cross-functional teams moving seamlessly between user research and concept generation into final design and development. With focus on Human Factors in medical device development, you will utilize a data-driven design process translating user needs into relevant and meaningful solutions that meet client objectives and provide an exceptional user experience.
This is a hands-on position that will help interns sharpen their skills and the ability to effectively communicate to multi-discipline project team members and stakeholders. To be successful, you will need to be a self-starter that collaborates effectively in a team environment and strikes the optimum balance between research and design.
- Supporting team members in usability research and the design and development of medical and commercial products and systems
- Gaining hands-on experience through assisting in user research and design activities
- Assisting in the generation 2D & 3D design concepts that meet stated project objectives
- Participating in other facets of product development such as concept generation, prototyping, data analysis, etc. as much as project work load and the candidate’s abilities allow
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Sophomore standing or higher pursuing a degree in Industrial Design, Visual Communications, Graphic Design, User Interface (UI) Design, User Interaction Design, and User Experience (UX) Design curriculum and currently enrolled in an accredited university
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA
- Strong interpersonal communication and presentation skills (verbal and visual)
- Exceptional creative problem solving, analytical, and visual communication skills
- Demonstrated initiative to be a self-starter with a desire to learn that extends beyond the classroom
- Motivated team player experienced working in diverse teams
- For those candidates that are non-US citizens, student visa must permit them to work at Battelle full-time during the summer semester
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Strong interest in medical device development
- Desire to improve the lives of others through meaningful application of design
- Experience using design research methods to translate insights into actionable design requirements and inform project teams
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Experience in using Adobe Creative Suite, Sketchbook Pro, 3D CAD software (preferably SolidWorks), and Keyshot or similar visualization software to effectively communicate design intent
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers