Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking an Staff Scientist. This position will be located at Tyndall AFB, near Panama City, FL.
Battelle’s Transportation Security Business Line provides research development test and evaluation (RDT&E) services to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
The Staff Scientist who possesses a M.S. or PhD in Chemistry or related field and 5+ years’ experience with explosives/energetic materials. The Staff Scientist will manage the group’s analytical activities and will be responsible for the analysis and QA/QC of all explosives prepared and/or used by the TRMG. (Analytical techniques include micro-computerized tomography (MCT) differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), thermogravimetric analysis (TGA), gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS), gas chromatography-electron capture detection (GC/ECD), Fourier transform-infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), high performance liquid chromatography/ultraviolet-visible spectroscopy (HPLC/UV-vis), high performance liquid chromatography/high resolution mass spectrometry (HPLC/HRMS), gas psychometry, Karl Fischer titrations, Raman Spectroscopy, and ion mobility mass spectrometry (IMS)). The Staff Scientist will also be responsible for handling the group’s hazardous materials in accordance with relevant standards and regulations (EPA, DoD, USAF, DHS, OSHA).
The Staff Scientist will collaborate with the Senior Chemist in development of test plans for the preparation of all explosive compounds and mixtures.
The Staff Scientist will be responsible for the maintenance of all equipment in the analytical laboratory. The Staff Scientist will compile data from analytical experiments for technical reports. The Staff Scientist will collect and dispose of all hazardous waste materials, interacts with relevant regulatory bodies and serves as the alternate Unit Environmental Chief (UEC). The Scientist serves as a member of SHEMS Cross-Functional Team (CFT) and must have completed training for DOT Hazardous Materials Transportation.
- Solving technical problems using chemistry, physics, mathematics, statistics, and computer science.
- Interacting with a team of scientists including physicists, mathematicians, computer scientists, statisticians, and engineers.
- Conducting and participating in assigned projects with minimum of supervision and within time and budget constraints.
- Preparing well-written technical reports and presentations.
- Maintaining excellent communication with team members and developing and maintaining a strong working relationship with selected clients.
- Primary support will involve the formulation of homemade explosives to be used in transportation security system research, development, test and evaluation. This includes providing technical services support in the formulating, characterizing, testing, and assessing safe handling processes and procedures for HMEs.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Must be a U.S. citizen that can obtain a security clearance.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in chemistry from an accredited college or university.
- 5+ years’ experience with explosives/energetic materials
- Strong background in organic chemistry with specialized knowledge and experience in oxidation chemistry is preferred.
- Additional selection criteria will include the following:
- Experience in the application of advanced transportation security concepts, principles, practices, and techniques are a plus.
- Prior experience with the handling/manufacturing of explosives and an understanding of their chemical properties are a plus.
- Prior experience in titrations, density measurements, and differential scanning calorimetry
- Excellent communication skills including technical writing, presentation skills, and team interaction.
- Demonstrated ability to assume ownership of assigned tasks and successfully complete the tasks, sometimes competing tasks, within a specified budget and schedule.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (especially email).
- Ability to get along well with diverse project team
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks at once.
- Ability to set up, trouble-shoot, and repair (or have repaired) lab equipment.
- Strong desire to work in a multi-disciplinary environment solving problems in a variety of application areas.
- Travel up to 25%.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- An active DOD secret security clearance.
- DoD Secret security clearance, DHS Suitability, TSA Suitability
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers