Trace Environmental Analytical Chemist
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Battelle’s Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Explosives (CBRNE) Defense Business Unit is currently seeking candidates for a full time, permanent position as a Trace Environmental Analytical Chemist. This position is located in Columbus, Ohio.
Primary job responsibilities will include the following:
- Perform advanced chemical analysis and research for projects involving trace analysis of components in environmental samples and complex matrices.
- Design and conduct experiments utilizing a variety of mass spectrometry analysis techniques (for example, LC/MS, GC/HRMS, LC/HRMS); determine appropriate acceptance criteria, conduct technical data reviews, analyze and interpret data collected, form conclusions, and write/review technical correspondence and technical reports.
- Troubleshoot complex laboratory problems; provide new perspectives to existing solutions. Develop innovative testing and/or analysis methods to improve results and/or the efficiency of the process.
- Conduct and/or lead a variety of small CBRNE research/technical projects or phases of technical projects. Provide technical direction to and coordinate the efforts of small teams of scientists and technical support staff in the performance of assigned projects within time and budget constraints.
- Prepare and make technical presentations to clients, both formal and informal.
- Assist with proposal efforts. Prepare technical sections of proposals.
- Oversee, mentor and train lower-level staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Minimum requirement of PhD in analytical chemistry or organic chemistry with significant analytical experience, with 0-3 years of industrial experience or post-doc experience.
- Demonstrated experience using chromatographic systems such as gas chromatographs (GC) or liquid chromatographs (LC) coupled with mass spectrometry (MS) systems.
- Demonstrated experience working with advanced MS systems such as triple quadrupole (tandem MS/MS) and high resolution mass spectrometers
- Proven experience with operation, calibration, and maintenance of MS instruments and interpretation of data.
- Proficient in standard wet chemistry sample extraction and cleanup techniques.
- Demonstrated experience with quantitative chemical analysis
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Incumbent must successfully pass medical screening, including the ability to wear personal protection equipment (PPE) and work with highly hazardous materials
- MUST be a U.S. Citizen with ability to obtain and maintain a government security clearance.
Incumbent will be subject to a government security investigation and must have the ability to obtain/maintain a security clearance.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Demonstrated experience with high resolution mass spectrometry (HRMS), time of flight mass spectrometry (TOFMS), hybrid tandem mass spectrometers, two-dimensional gas chromatography, and ultra performance liquid chromatography (UPLC).
- Experience with trace chemical analysis
- Experience working with toxic chemicals
- Experience operating in GLP/GMP/ISO environments
- Experience with LIMS
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
#linkedin #indeedcampaign #clearance