Research Scientist Statistician
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in human health, security, environment, and energy. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Research Statistician. This position is located in Columbus, OH.
The Battelle Advanced Analytics and Health Resource group is seeking a Research Statistician to join a team of researchers located in Columbus, OH. Someone in this role is expected to:
- Perform sophisticated modeling and analyses of datasets in order to answer specific research questions
- Determine appropriate methods, fill in technical details, identify problems and implement solutions, developing new methods if necessary
- Oversee others in extracting data from existing databases or literature and preparing data for statistical/bio-statistical analysis
AAHR supports government, academic and private industry clients in the areas of healthcare, national defense, environmental, education, transportation, and energy.
- Participate in multiple, assigned research projects with minimal supervision and within time and budget constraints
- Organize data from many different types of sources and at significantly varying scales for subsequent statistical/bio-statistical analysis
- Critically evaluate data for quality measures such as completeness, accuracy, and applicability, applying understanding of relevant research area nomenclature
- Solve unusual problems using a combination of appropriate statistics, bio-statistics, and machine learning methods
- Create technical reports and presentations, describing results with tables, graphs, and software tools in a manner that the client can understand
- Present research results to clients and participate in scientific conferences, peer review panels, and increase company visibility through publications
- Build relationships with internal and external clients
- Support business development efforts led by others
- Plan and carry out appropriate professional self-development activities
- Perform other duties as assigned
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- PhD degree in Statistics, Machine Learning, Mathematics, Biostatistics, Physics, or Computer Science OR Master’s degree in Statistics, Machine Learning, Mathematics, Biostatistics, Physics, or Computer Science or a related data analytics field and 3 years of experience
- Expertise in manipulating and analyzing data (e.g., regression, classification, mixed and generalized linear models, time series analysis, longitudinal methods, Bayesian methods)
- Programming experience in R and/or Matlab
- Strong analytical, multi-tasking, problem solving, organizational, and planning skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Attention to detail and adaptability
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS ARE DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Experience with other statistical languages, such as Stata or SAS
- Experience with C, C++, Python, C#, Java, or similar programming languages
- Demonstrated machine learning experience
- All candidate should have experience either as an intern, a research assistant, or an applied project consultant, demonstrating capabilities in statistical analysis and programming.
- Ability to write and understand scientific algorithms
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers.