Battelle’s founding mission guides its investment of our knowledge, talents, and resources helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail. We invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation tackling critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking an Senior Chemist. This position will be located at Tyndall AFB, near Panama City, FL
Battelle’s Transportation Security Business Line provides research development test and evaluation (RDT&E) services to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
The Senior Chemist who has a PhD in chemistry or related field and 10+ years’ experience in the preparation, analysis and safe handling of Home Made Explosives (HME) and conventional explosives, be responsible for the synthesis of all energetic materials and analytical activities, be responsible for interacting with the client and the explosives community for determining the coordination of the group’s activities, development of test plans in close collaboration with the Principal Program Manager, the Safety Officer, and the Engineering Supervisor, work closely with others to procure materials and equipment, provide relevant training, and properly dispose of chemical waste, be responsible for compiling and disseminating the group’s work via publications, presentations, and technical reports, able to synthesize sensitive homemade explosives in large quantities and be familiar with synthesis using remote manufacturing techniques.
- Solving technical problems using chemistry, physics, mathematics, statistics, and computer science.
- Interacting with a team of scientists including physicists, mathematicians, computer scientists, statisticians, and engineers.
- Conducting and participating in assigned projects with minimum of supervision and within time and budget constraints.
- Preparing well-written technical reports and presentations.
- Maintaining excellent communication with team members and developing and maintaining a strong working relationship with selected clients.
- Primary support will involve the formulation of homemade explosives to be used in transportation security system research, development, test and evaluation. This includes providing technical services support in the formulating, characterizing, testing, and assessing safe handling processes and procedures for HMEs.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Must be a U.S. citizen that can obtain a security clearance.
- Ph.D. in chemistry from an accredited college or university. 5 plus years of demonstrated professional or research experience gained through projects, programs, and education. (Years of experience may not be substituted for education)
- Strong background in organic chemistry with specialized knowledge and experience in oxidation chemistry is preferred.
- Additional selection criteria will include the following:
- Experience in the application of advanced transportation security concepts, principles, practices, and techniques are a plus.
- Prior experience with the handling/manufacturing of explosives and an understanding of their chemical properties are a plus.
- Prior experience in titrations, density measurements, and differential scanning calorimetry
- Excellent communication skills including technical writing, presentation skills, and team interaction.
- Demonstrated ability to assume ownership of assigned tasks and successfully complete the tasks, sometimes competing tasks, within a specified budget and schedule.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (especially email).
- Ability to get along well with diverse project team
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks at once.
- Ability to set up, trouble-shoot, and repair (or have repaired) lab equipment.
- Strong desire to work in a multi-disciplinary environment solving problems in a variety of application areas.
- Travel up to 25%.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- An active DOD secret security clearance.
- DoD Secret security clearance, DHS Suitability, TSA Suitability
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers