Project Manager, Medical Devices
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Medical Device Project Manager. This position located in Columbus, OH.
Battelle’s Consumer, Industrial, and Medical Business Line is hired by external companies from startups to Fortune 100 to assist them with their product development needs. Clients choose to work with us because of a proven track record for developing innovative and marketable solutions to challenging technical problems. A significant portion of our work is focused on developing medical devices. This has included projects for mass produced drug delivery devices, immunodiagnostic systems, surgery tools, large scale imaging systems, and more. Regardless of whether the device is in the user’s hands or part of a larger system of care, they all are driven by the same ambition - to positively affect the user’s health outcome.
The Project Manager will be an integral part of the multi-disciplinary teams that we form around each project and dedicate to achieving that project’s goal.
Our team-based approach means you will work side-by-side with Mechanical, Electrical, Software, and Systems Engineers; Electrical and Mechanical Designers and Technicians; Industrial Designers and Human Factors Engineers; Material Scientists, and any other disciplines needed for each project. Your coworkers will range from new college graduates to those with 30+ years of experience. The unique backgrounds and work experiences brought by each team member lends diversity to the development process, which results in both product innovation as well as an engaging work environment.
The successful candidate has the chance to build and draw upon a solid foundation of skills through work in the general context of medical product development. Projects can last from just a few months to several years and the successful candidate will lead a large number of different projects over the years. Each project presents its own set of requirements and challenges, so you will continue to experience career growth as a project manager through regular opportunities to apply your skills to those new challenges.
The Project Manager’s primary function is to plan, lead, and manage medical device programs, utilizing multi-disciplined product development teams. Projects span portions of or the entire development life-cycle, from concept/feasibility, to detailed design, and on to manufacturing transition and launch, as well as post launch support.
The Project Manager is accountable to lead the overall program planning, staffing, project execution, cost control, risk management, and primary client relationship duties. The Project Manager has significant autonomy in project execution, working under the oversight of the group’s Advisory Board for that particular project.
The Project Manager will:
- Lead proposal efforts, in collaboration with internal team and client, to define an overall approach, schedule, and cost that represents an acceptable benefit to the client.
- Facilitate detailed project planning, including all elements of scope, cost, schedule, risk and technical performance deliverables, to fully define the project through completion.
- Manage internal team project performance by proactively balancing the triple-constraint of scope, cost, and schedule, leading to a successful conclusion.
- Serve as the primary client contact throughout the project execution, providing periodic assessments of project performance against plan, raising and executing needed risk mitigations.
- Provide technical support and oversight throughout the execution of the project.
- Prepare and present periodic project performance updates to internal management.
- Conduct project activities within the framework of the group’s ISO 13485 Quality System.
- Stay abreast of Project Management best practices and share key learning with project management and project team staff.
- Understand, embrace and ensure compliance to relevant Quality Systems and applicable government and industry regulations.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or a business management field from an accredited institution and a minimum of 5-7 years of medical device product development experience.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in applicable project management role.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and project management skills with ability to work collaboratively with both internal and external counterparts.
- Demonstrated ability to give presentations and communicate effectively with internal and external clients.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office, Project, Excel, and other standard programs for project, business and financial management.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Advanced degree (MS, PhD, MBA) in engineering or business/management field.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
- Experience working within medical device development Quality Systems. (ISO 13485, 90001, etc)
- Experience across the medical device development continuum, from concept development activities through product launch.
- Experience with government funded projects, including proposal authoring.
Battelle is a $5 billion contract research, translational engineering, and commercialization services enterprise, serving markets including national security, infrastructure, and human health. With industrial and university partners, we are also a leading manager of National Laboratories for the U.S. government. Consistent with Battelle’s business strategy and non-profit charter, we value competitiveness, scientific distinction, high-impact innovation, revenue growth in areas with strong benefit to humanity and the nation, investment to sustain and develop research capabilities (such as NeuroLife™), and philanthropy with an emphasis on STEM education.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.