Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Technical On-Site Professional Services (TOPS) is a part of the Contract Research Business within Battelle providing laboratory and logistical support to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Center for Surveillance, Epidemiology, and Laboratory Services (CSELS), Division of Laboratory Systems (DLS). DLS strives to strengthen the nation’s clinical and public health laboratory system by continually improving quality and safety, informatics and data science. In addition, DLS facilitates development and supports implementation of CDC’s specimen-related policies.
We are currently seeking a Manager with Quality Assurance (QA) experience to supervise the day-to-day operations of the CASPIR (CDC and ATSDR Specimen Packaging, Inventory, and Repository) facility. The selected applicant will work on-site at the Lawrenceville, GA location. In addition, the selected candidate must obtain and maintain a CDC security clearance and meet all training and safety requirements for the effort. Relocation support is not available for this position.
CASPIR was established as a centralized biorepository resource to preserve more than 6.5 million specimens representing previous and ongoing studies, outbreak investigations, emergency responses, and public health surveillance and provide ongoing specimen management support to the CDC program. This includes reliable services to CDC laboratories, such as sample aliquotting, preservation, retrieval, packaging, and transport to and from the CDC campuses. A dedicated data management system for specimen inventory and tracking to facilitate retrieval and utilization is used. CASPIR services also provide a variety of highly specialized printed labels and barcodes with required specimen identifiers (CSID/CUID) to uniquely identify all specimens within the agency and for specimen tracking. Specimens housed at CASPIR play crucial roles in public health research and population health. These specimens have the potential to advance our knowledge to characterize new etiologic agents, investigate causes of diseases, and develop new tests, vaccines, and treatments. Collections at CASPIR support and enhance national studies, such as the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, the Active Bacterial Core Surveillance Program, and the Child Health and Mortality Prevention Surveillance Network. The repository operates in accordance with ISBER Best Practice guidelines
- Review and update the Quality Management System and related documents
- Oversee all processes associated with the receipt and shipment of samples
- Assure effective operations, both current and future, through the training and development of capable staff
- Work with CDC Operations Manager to establish goals and objectives
- Interface with Contract Support and Subcontractors to ensure cryogens and gases are available to all three CDC campuses
- Provide input to contingency planning for emergency operations
- Respond to after-hours alarms as needed to salvage at-risk specimens
- Adhere to CDC and CLIA 88 guidelines with regard to laboratory protocols and quality control
- Participate in the monitoring of projects to the extent of insuring that they remain within budget
- Manage staff availability for project work and analyze staff skill mix relative to strategic business operations
- Develop and implement quality assurance and control policies
- Demonstrate strong communication skills to effectively interact with top management internally and within client organizations, subcontractors, consultants and staff. Requires critical human relation skills to understand, select, develop and motivate others. Requires evidenced ability to lead others in the achievement of goals
- Participate in the selection, training, development, and motivation of staff to establish and maintain a quality operation with a focus on the needs, goals, and deliverable of the client
- Develop and maintain client relationships to ensure communications are open and consistent. Maintain a high level of client involvement to remain sensitive to client needs and respond in a timely manner
- Participate in the establishment of staff goals and objectives of staff in line with contract based deliverables and preparing and communicating performance reviews
- Identify and resolve staff issues to ensure optimal performance and continuity of existing tasks
- Participate in the development and implementation of policies fostered either by Battelle and /or CDC. Implement, execute and communicate policies and decisions of upper management. Integrate top management decisions into operating policies and procedures
- Participate in the compliance with Battelle/CDC policies as it relates to time, attendance, and safety
- Conduct Management Safety Observations (MSOs) with all staff on an annual basis. Analyze and identify business opportunities in support of the defined market, market potential, key clients and viability of technologies for business emphasis
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor's degree, Master's degree or PhD in Biology or a related science. Must have some prior experience supervising a staff of at least 10 laboratory based researchers
- Years of work experience required:
- BS – 5+ years of experience
- MS – 3+years of experience
- PhD – 1+ years of experience
- Experience in developing laboratory SOPs, and documenting regulatory procedures
- Must have strong background/work experience in QA
- Effective at planning daily activities and oversight of technicians
- Strong desire to lead teams and participate in open dialogues regarding performance metrics
- Able to facilitate discussions with regards to exemplary actions/results as well as disciplinary actions as needed
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work successfully as a part of a team
- Highly proficient in MS Office products (Outlook, Word. PowerPoint, and Excel).
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Experience working with the Federal Government under contracts
- Prior people management experience preferred
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers