Forensic Mass Spectrometrist
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Forensic Mass Spectrometrist. This position located in Columbus, OH.
- Perform chemical analysis and research in the trace analysis of components in complex mixtures.
- Perform a variety of standard preparation, sample preparation, and analysis using GC-MS or LC-MS instrumentation in compliance with applicable methods, test plans, and SOPs.
- Operate comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography time of flight tandem mass spectrometers (GCxGC-TOF) and high resolution mass spectrometers (GCxGC-HRT).
- Operate high resolution quadrupole time of flight tandem mass spectrometers (q-TOF) interfaced with high-performance liquid chromatographs (HPLC) and ultra-performance liquid chromatographs (UPLC).
- Perform aspects of routine maintenance, including calibration, and troubleshoot analytical equipment and instrumentation.
- Coordinate and perform data analysis, calculations and conversions, compile the data generated, and prepare data reports.
- Work with senior staff to develop and validate methods used to identify and quantify small molecules in complex matrices.
- Maintain and complete all laboratory documentation clearly.
- Manage time effectively to complete assignments within time and budget constraints.
- Other duties as assigned.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor's degree in chemistry or related scientific field with a minimum of five to eight years of analytical laboratory experience.
- Experience performing analyses using GC-MS or LC-MS instruments, including working with and interpreting mass spectra and mass spectral libraries.
- Proficient in standard wet chemistry techniques.
- Incumbent must successfully pass medical screening, including the ability to wear personal protection equipment (PPE), lift up to 25 pounds, and work in the proximity of toxic chemicals.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a government security clearance.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Experience operating LECO Pegasus GC-TOF instruments.
- Experience operating high resolution q-TOF or orbitrap instruments.
- Experience working with hazardous chemicals.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
#linkedin #clearance #indeedcampaign