Principal Research Scientist
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Principal Research Scientist. This position located in Aberdeen, MD.
Battelle is seeking a Principal Research Scientist to work in the Product & Lifecycle Management (PLCM) Business Line of the Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Explosives (CBRNE) Business Unit. Battelle's CBRNE Defense business unit is committed to protecting our nation against chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and explosive (CBRNE) threats. Applying expertise across the globe, CBRNE Defense employees specialize in CBRNE-related sciences, intelligence, engineering, protection readiness, product design and manufacturing, and logistics. The business unit provides clients with understanding, prediction and assessment of the risks, hazards and threats posed by CBRNE materials and those who would use them nefariously. At the same time, the business unit helps clients prepare for these threats by testing and evaluating defensive equipment and procedures, developing and manufacturing CBRNE defense products and integrating them into fielded systems, and providing training and logistics support across the globe.
The Principal Research Scientist will work in the PLCM Business Line alongside researchers, scientists, engineers, designers, and technicians to develop technical documentation to support development and fielding of detector products and integrated systems primarily for US Government and commercial markets. The ideal candidate is proactive, eager to learn, and can view problems analytically and creatively. Although technical competence and critical thinking skills are expected, emphasis is placed on technical problem solving, effectiveness, and flexibility.
The candidate will support development of new products or support of already fielded products by developing technical documentation to include Technical Manuals and Training Support Packages along with the planning and execution of training events. The candidate will also contribute to technical proposals or client briefings to capture new business. Travel will be required. Responsibilities include:
- Participate in conceptual design, detailed design, prototyping, fabrication, and testing
- Plan and execute mid to large scale training events to all branches of the service
- Strong knowledge of developing MIL STD Technical Manuals specifically as applied to Operator (-10) and Maintainer (-23&P)
- Strong knowledge of developing Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals (IETMs)
- Interpret and convert information (e.g. engineering models, drawings, schematics, spreadsheets, etc.) into end-user military standard (MIL STD) documentation and reference materials such as Maintenance Allocation Charts (MAC), repair parts and special tools lists
- Generate training support packages in accordance with (MIL standards for all branches of the service) or commercial standards.
- Support Logistics Planning Analyses, such as Level of Repair Analyses (LORA), and Maintenance Task Analysis
- Expert level proficiency with editing and production tools (i.e. FrameMaker, MS Word, etc.)
- Perform routine and ad-hoc tasking is support of time-sensitive projects
- Provide routine status updates to both program and line management
THE FOLLOWING ARE REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences (education, logistics, or related degree) with 8-10 years of related experience
- Ability to interface with various engineering and scientific disciplines
- Ability to interface directly with commercial and US government end-users and program offices
- Ability to generate specifications, plans, procedures, and technical reports
- Ability to critically review technical documentation and provide constructive feedback
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to work independently or as part of a larger team
- Relevant experience in military documentation development
- Relevant experience planning and executing military training events
- Familiarization with Power Log, COMPASS, Technical Manual XML/ SGML composition tools, and graphics development
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with ability to obtain and maintain a government security clearance
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Master’s Degree in education, logistics, or any related field
- Ability to develop CONOPs that synergize technologies with tactical applications
- Experience developing proposals to capture new business or expand current client engagement
- U.S. Citizen with a current/active DoD Secret security clearance
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
#linkedin #clearance #indeedcampaign