NIH Strategic Business Development Leader
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a National Institute of Health (NIH) Strategic Business Development Leader- This position is located in Arlington, VA (Crystal City office). Strong candidates located in a major U.S. city will be considered; frequent travel to our Columbus, OH Headquarters will be necessary.
The Business Development Leader will support Battelle’s Health and Consumer Solutions (HCS) and Life Sciences Research (LSR) Business Units in order to drive growth within the National Institute of Health for these two rapidly growing organizations.
The successful candidate will have comprehensive subject matter expertise (SME) and be considered a thought-leader across an array of health-related topics in a wide range of domains supporting NIH clients. The candidate must be able to highlight opportunities and strategic aspirations in the NIH market based on professional insights, network, and broad-based customer situational awareness.
- Developing, maintaining and growing an extensive network of relationships, with both existing and potential Battelle clients, with emphasis on the National Institutes of Health (NIH) institutes and centers, to grow current and future medical business, as well as, cultivate relationships with partners – small and large business and academia, as appropriate.
- Shaping, identifying, capturing, and managing strategic opportunities that support HCS and LSR Business Unit strategies.
- Identify and structure opportunities where unmet client needs can be satisfied by internal research and development investments, thereby allowing Battelle to bring new capabilities or offerings to both government and commercial clients.
- Providing market and competitor intelligence on market segments where the BUs are engaged, as well as insights on competition specific to individual opportunities, with particular emphasis on the following parts of NIH (NCATS, NCI, NHLBI, NIBIB, NIDA, NINDS, and Office of Strategic Coordination (SPARC)). In addition, these NIH components are also of interest (NIAAA, NIAID, and NIEHS). Awareness and insights on NEI and NIA would be considered a plus, but not required.
- Candidates should demonstrate knowledge and experience with cutting-edge ‘omics technologies, including massively parallel sequencing and mass spectrometry, and bioinformatics analysis for diagnostic applications.
- Actively contributing to business-related activities at the senior-executive level, to include participation on applicable Boards, Industry Associations, and other relevant activities
- Collaborating/leading capture teams to establish overall proposal strategies and themes which clearly differentiate Battelle from other potential providers of service. Coordinates the selection of proposal team member organizations (strategic partners, sub-contractors, universities, etc.) and the efforts of the proposal team; assist in formulating an offering that persuasively presents the project approach that meets the client needs and documents the value created for the client by this approach at a competitive price.
- Assisting the Business Unit General Managers in the efficient and effective use of marketing resources across multiple client organizations to achieve growth and maintain margins.
- Building and maintaining a robust funnel of leads and opportunities capable of meeting or exceeding established Business Unit sales goals.
- Contributing to the development of effective legislative initiatives to support business strategies and plans
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Biomedical, or Science-related technical field and 10-15 years of experience in National Institute of Health organizations and policy.
- Existing network of contacts within the National Institute of Health and the ability to leverage these into qualified business opportunities.
- Knowledge of competitors in this market space and experience in competitive assessment; experience in developing large government proposals
- Demonstrated ability to present technical presentations to internal and external clientele and the ability to participate on proposal teams.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Master’s Degree or higher, preferably in technical discipline
- Experience selling consulting/engineering/manufacturing services preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Client Relationship Management (CRM) tool
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers