Cyber Embedded Systems Engineer I
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Cyber Embedded Systems Engineer/Reverse Engineer I. This position is located in Columbus, Ohio.
The Cyber Embedded Systems Engineer/Reverse Engineer will support Battelle’s Cyber Innovations group. We’re trusted by elite government clients to solve some of the world’s most perplexing cyber challenges, and are always looking for new, creative ideas and approaches.
From research to development to operational deployment, we provide focused expertise and solutions to develop rapid prototypes and advanced technological solutions for special mission deployment. Instead of providing solutions to every cybersecurity challenge, we apply our very unique capabilities in cyber software and embedded systems, and especially at the intersection of those two domains, to custom projects from silicon though worldwide networks.
Battelle, and specifically the Cyber Innovations group, continuously invests in industry-leading facilities, tools, staff development and internal R&D to invent and advance innovative tools and technologies in anticipation of future cyber threats and to attract and keep the industry’s best talent.
The selected candidate will be an integral part of an accomplished team of cyber experts in both hardware and software; and will have opportunities to work closely with physicists, mathematicians and other scientific experts from across Battelle.
- Collaborate with the Cyber Embedded Systems Team to improve reverse engineering and embedded system development capabilities, integrating hardware, software, and reverse engineering tasks
- Design and write embedded code
- Perform, support digital forensics
- Conduct and / or participate in assigned technical tasks and activities with minimum supervision and within time and budget constraints. Manage small tasks as assigned
- Perform assigned tasks and activities in a timely manner and within the budgeted time or cost
- Able to work independently and effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Able to effectively communicate ideas with other engineers
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Be an effective organizer, able to follow standard operating procedures and health and safety guidelines
- Proficient in microcontroller-based design and analysis
- Able to reverse engineer/analyze disassembled embedded firmware
- FPGA design expertise using either Verilog or VHDL is a plus
- Familiar with networking protocols and architecture, CAN experience a plus
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related field of study, Master’s degree is a plus
- Education/Electrical Engineering emphasis on embedded systems with an interest in firmware reverse engineering
- Demonstrated interest in microcontroller hardware design and hardware reverse engineering
- Familiarity with assembly language programming for at least one family of microprocessors
- Ability to code in C/C++/C#
- Exceptional communication skills, including formal and informal oral and written communications
- Must be a US citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD clearance.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Active DoD Secret Clearance.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers