Chief Engineer for Neurotechnology
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Chief Engineer for Neurotechnology. This position located in Columbus, OH.
Battelle Memorial Institute is seeking an ambitious Research and Development leader for our flagship applied research program in neurotechnology. Leading a motivated team of accomplished neurotechnology scientists and engineers in Battelle’s medical device group, working with clinical and industry partners, and building on a proprietary neural bypass technology platform that has attracted national media attention, we intend to solve challenging scientific and engineering problems that will assist and rehabilitate patients contending with neural injury and disease. We expect the research and development to be of a caliber sufficient to attract eminent collaborators and research funding organizations like NIH and DARPA, and in the longer term will be a significant growth area for Battelle’s Healthcare business unit.
- Leader: Lead the team to deliver globally-distinctive scientific results that translate into economically valuable innovation with significant benefit to patients.
- Leader: Direct neurotechnology research at Battelle and with collaborators.
- Leader: Oversee product innovation and development, including implantable, wearable, and software technologies.
- Collaborator/contributor: Forecast future scientific and competitive developments in neurotechnology in order to maximize the effectiveness of Battelle’s investment and intellectual property strategy.
- Contributor: Support business development activities to capture major research grant and contract project funding consistent with the program’s stage and intent. This includes writing proposals and technical papers, participating in conferences, and interfacing with industry peers and potential clients.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Master’s degree in an Engineering discipline relevant to neurophysiology, neuromodulation or neuroprosthetics and at least 15 years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated ability to a lead multi-disciplinary research or advanced product development team in scientific discovery and/or technology innovation resulting in neurotechnology or neuromodulation products
- Experience leading a long-range, advanced R&D program toward applied outcomes.
- Evidence of emerging or established thought leadership in neurotechnology as indicated by publications in refereed journals, conference presentations, patents, and/or involvement in important commercial innovation.
- Track record of winning research and development project funding and/or product development / commercialization results.
- Proven ability to communicate at all levels within the organization as well as internal and external clientele.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Personal network of industry and academic leaders in assistive / rehabilitative human neurotechnology.
- Experience in implantable or non-invasive neural sensing, recording, imaging, data analysis, stimulation or modulation.
- Experience leading and directing experiments in a clinical setting.
- Experience developing business strategies.
Battelle is a $5 billion contract research, translational engineering, and commercialization services enterprise, serving markets including national security, infrastructure, and human health. With industrial and university partners, we are also a leading manager of National Laboratories for the U.S. government. Consistent with Battelle’s business strategy and non-profit charter, we value competitiveness, scientific distinction, high-impact innovation, revenue growth in areas with strong benefit to humanity and the nation, investment to sustain and develop research capabilities (such as NeuroLife™), and philanthropy with an emphasis on STEM education.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers