Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Research Statistician. This position is located in Columbus, Ohio.
For over 35 years, our Data Analytics organization has been specializing in providing statistical analysis and informatics solutions in the areas of health, defense, environment, toxicological studies and other research areas. We are looking to add a statistician to our growing team.
The primary job responsibilities for the selected candidate will include:
- Design and analysis of epidemiological data from prospective and retrospective studies, health-outcomes surveys, pre-clinical studies, and other types of experimental or observational studies
- Assessing relationships between health outcomes and exposures, and sensitivity and specificity of biomarkers of disease and/or exposure
- Experience with sensitivities related to the collection and analysis of protected health information, including healthcare claims data and/or electronic health records
- Assessing and adjusting study samples for possible error and bias associated with sampling and/or measurement methods
- Design and analysis of longitudinal and/or clustered data-sources, including use of Generalized Estimating Equations and Mixed Models approaches
- Statistical Programming using R, SAS or Stata
- Interacting with teams of scientists including, but not limited to public health researchers, laboratory scientists, engineers, mathematicians, and computer scientists.
- Work with colleagues to prepare and submit manuscripts for publication in peer reviewed journals
- Support preparation, presentation, and follow-up on research proposals.
- Plan and carry out appropriate professional self-development activities.
- Proactively managing expectations and meeting deadlines in a fast moving, agile environment.
- Conducting and participating in assigned projects with minimum of supervision and within time and budget constraints.
- Interacting with co-located team members as well as geographically diverse team members daily.
- Maintaining excellent communication with team members.
- A minimal amount of domestic travel is anticipated.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree and 2 or more years of experience OR Master’s degree/MPH in statistics/biostatistics or related data analytical field and experience either as an intern, a research assistant, an applied project consultant, or writing a thesis, demonstrating capabilities in statistical analysis and programming.
- Strong course work in statistical theory.
- Course work or experience demonstrating statistical programming and data visualization skills in SAS, R, or Stata.
- Demonstrated competency in multiple statistical techniques (e.g., generalized linear mixed models, survey statistics, Bayesian methods, spatial statistics, time series analysis).
- Strong aptitude in science and firm understanding of the scientific method to facilitate collaboration with scientists and engineers.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Work experience as a professional statistician/biostatistician, especially in public health research or clinical health research.
- Strong desire to work in a multi-disciplinary environment solving problems in a variety of application areas.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers