Principal Research Scientist - Quantitative Psychology/Biostatistics
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Principal Research Scientist with expertise in Quantitative Psychology/Biostatistics. This position is located in Baltimore, Maryland.
Battelle’s Public Health Research & Translational Science team specializes in conducting research and data collection services in the area of public health for government, and academic clients. Battelle is seeking a professional with strong statistical consulting experience to serve as a member of our dynamic and collaborative team of researchers who are passionate about investigating and improving the public health of this nation. Principal scientists on the team conduct cutting-edge public health research on a variety of topics focusing on substance use behavior, exposure risks, product characterization, among other areas.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge and experience with both methodology (e.g., study design, survey sampling, randomized trials, quasi-experimental designs) and applied statistics (e.g., sensitivity and specificity analysis, psychometric theory, generalized linear mixed models) relevant to public health related projects. Particular skills and abilities include:
- Design of large-scale studies with complex sampling designs, including longitudinal epidemiology studies implemented in multiple sites while accounting for within-person and within-site correlations in both responses and predictors.
- Consultation on survey operational issues that impact statistical design and analysis such as randomization plans, data management SOPs, and data capture software platform development.
- Application of both linear and non-linear models with fixed and random effects to criteria assumed to follow diverse distributions, including but not limited to Gaussian, binomial, (zero-inflated) Poisson, and negative binomial.
- Analysis of surveys from complex sampling designs, including solutions for weighting, missing data, and imputation.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Consults to principal scientists in the planning and conduct of the study, in the analysis of data, and the interpretation of findings.
- Organizes and manages all statistical aspects of successful research projects.
- Establishes and maintains professional relationships with clients.
- Trains, mentors, and provides technical leadership and direction for developing staff.
- Provides responsible, competent technical advice to project and operations management.
- Participates in multiple research projects with a minimum of supervision, operating within time and budget constraints.
- Support preparation, presentation, and submission of research grant and contract proposals.
- Contribute to scientific dissemination of study results to the internal research team, to clients, in peer-reviewed journals, and in presentations at scientific conferences/meetings.
- Plan and carry out appropriate professional self-development activities.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biostatistics, Statistics, Educational Measurement, Epidemiology, Quantitative Psychology or relevant public health field AND 5-8 years of relevant experience
- Master’s Degree in Biostatistics, Statistics, Educational Measurement, Epidemiology, Quantitative Psychology or relevant public health field AND 2-5 years of relevant experience
- PhD in Biostatistics, Statistics, Educational Measurement, Epidemiology, Quantitative Psychology or relevant public health field AND relevant experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in federal grant and/or contract research from proposal preparation through study execution, analysis, and dissemination.
- Evidence of exemplary project planning and management abilities, including planning studies, developing analysis protocols, managing public health data, identifying, performing and defending appropriate analyses, and presenting results.
- Exceptional demonstrated writing skills and a strong track record in peer-reviewed publication.
- Advanced programming skills in SAS, R, SPSS, and/or Stata.
THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS ARE DESIRED BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- PhD in Biostatistics, Statistics, Educational Measurement, Epidemiology, Quantitative Psychology or relevant public health field AND 3-5 years of experience in statistical consulting to research teams.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers