Operations Research Scientist
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking an Operations Research Scientist. This position is located in Columbus, Ohio.
Battelle’s Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Explosives (CBRNE) Defense business, in our National Security Global Business, is currently seeking an operations research analyst with experience conducting simulations and optimization in support of the Battelle probabilistic risk analyses. The Hazard Modeling Team within CBRNE Defense provides its customers with technical analyses as well as modeling capabilities to inform their preparedness and response planning efforts to mitigate risk to the United States or their company. Successful applicants will have the opportunity to make this Nation and Battelle’s clients better prepared and safer.
- Performance of probabilistic risk assessment (PRA) addressing the public health and economic risk resulting from adverse events involving exposure to hazardous chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear materials
- Generation and performance of Monte Carlo simulations
- Development of algorithms for optimization of resource selection
- Processing of PRA results, visualization of data, and development of risk communications able to inform audiences of widely varying educational backgrounds
- Writing of risk assessment reports and electronic resource content
- Some domestic travel is anticipated
- Relocation support is available
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Must have a Master’s degree in engineering, operational research, statistics or related field with 2-5 years of experience or Doctorate degree with 0-2 years of experience
- Experience in creation of algorithms in C++, C#, JAVA, R, Python, or PERL to address scientific or technical problems in a classroom, industrial, or research environment. Experience in PRA is desired, but not required
- Performance of calculations using Monte Carlo or other probabilistic sampling techniques
- Must have experience processing of data using R, a commercial data analysis software such as JMP, Tableau, SPSS or SAS, or Python and experience with object oriented programming principles in C++, C#, or Java
- Good oral and written communication skills, the ability to work in a team environment, and strong time management skills
- Must have sole U.S. citizenship, with the ability to obtain and maintain required government security clearances
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers