Research Leader - Toxicology
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Research Leader - Toxicologist. This position is located in West Jefferson, OH.
Battelle’s Life Science Research Center offers a staff of highly trained scientist and technicians, and state of the art facilities to support our clients’ toxicology, safety pharmacology, and inhalation research programs. Our multidisciplinary integrated approach to providing critical solutions for our pharmaceuticals, biotech, agrichemical, industrial, and government clients increases the speed of the development while maintaining quality and compliance.
The incumbent will serve as a Technical Leader for IND programs and design and conduct studies, interpret data, and prepare reports using standard scientific principles, US FDA regulations, and Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs). Applicant shall exhibit ingenuity, creativity and resourcefulness in the application and/or development of significantly advanced technologies, scientific principles, theories and concepts. The Research Leader frequently acts independently to expose and resolve problems associated with the development and implementation of programs. This position plans R&D programs and serves as consultant to management in the long-range planning pertaining to new or projected areas of technological advancements. An emphasis is placed on high quality technical and business/planning activities.
Principal responsibilities are to:
- Serve as Principal Investigator for IND programs
- Provide regulatory expertise to clients in support of their IND submissions
- Build relationship with clients and participate in their long-term research agendas and programs
- Lead proposal preparation efforts
- Play a lead role in identifying and capturing business opportunities
- Conceptualize and lead Internal Research and Development tasks for new testing methods in alignment with business strategy
- Participate in long-term strategic planning and lead new competency development efforts
- Plan and lead highly complex and advanced technical projects and develop sound experimental techniques for scientific studies
- Design and manage toxicology and pharmacokinetic research as a Study Director under GLP
- Perform data analysis and prepare, review and/or approve highly complex reports to address scientific and regulatory issues
- Communicate findings to clients and scientific audiences, through both oral presentations and written reports and manuscripts
- Train and mentor junior technical staff in technical interpretation of complex data, and ensure the technical procedures used for testing/research within the group are current and valid
- Prepare cost and schedule estimates on proposed projects/assays in toxicology
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- PhD in Toxicology or related field.
- DABT certification.
- At least 10 or more years’ experience in conducting, managing, planning/reviewing/evaluating preclinical toxicology studies.
- Working experience in drug development and IND submission.
- Experience in managing or serving in a key role on complex multi-year programs .
- Experience in producing high quality technical reports and/or publications in the area of safety evaluation.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication.
- Ability and willingness to serve in cross functional roles as needed ensure business continuity.
- Ability and willingness to market Battelle capabilities.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be willing to work in a biosafety level 2 (BSL2) and/or 3 (BSL3) environment and able to wear appropriate respiratory protection.
- Must be willing to be immunized with licensed and FDA approved vaccines and medications recommended for persons at risk to occupational exposure of biological agents.
- Must be willing to participate in periodic drug screening.
Additional requirements may be requested at a future date:
- Ability to obtain/maintain certification in Chemical Personnel Reliability Program and/or Biological Personnel Reliability Program.
- Ability to obtain/maintain DoJ Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval.
- Ability to obtain/maintain CDC Select Agent Program approval.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Developmental and Reproductive toxicology experience.
- Inhalation Toxicology experience.
- Experience working in similar industry environment or governmental agency.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers