Cyber Reverse Software Engineer III
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Cyber Reverse Software Engineer III. This position is located in Springfield, Virginia.
The Cyber Reverse Software Engineer III will support Battelle’s Cyber Innovations group. We’re trusted by elite government clients to solve some of the world’s most perplexing cyber challenges, and are always looking for new, creative ideas and approaches.
From research to development to operational deployment, we provide focused expertise and solutions to develop rapid prototypes and advanced technological solutions for special mission deployment. Instead of providing solutions to every cybersecurity challenge, we apply our very unique capabilities in cyber software and embedded systems, and especially at the intersection of those two domains, to custom projects from silicon though worldwide networks.
Battelle, and specifically the Cyber Innovations group, continuously invests in industry-leading facilities, tools, staff development and internal R&D to invent and advance innovative tools and technologies in anticipation of future cyber threats and to attract and keep the industry’s best talent.
The selected candidate will be an integral part of an accomplished team of cyber experts in both hardware and software; and will have opportunities to work closely with physicists, mathematicians and other scientific experts from across Battelle.
- Perform computer network exploitation: embedded reverse engineering (RE), vulnerability research (VR), and application development for software and embedded systems
- Mentor other staff to improve reverse engineering skills
- Collaborate with Cyber Innovation Unit staff working multifunctional programs integrating hardware and software reverse engineering tasks
- Develop software tools to support Reverse Engineering and Vulnerability Research
- Support digital forensics activities
- Lead a small team in embedded reverse engineering and vulnerability research tasks
- Provide exceptional RE and VR on embedded system firmware and software
- Develop software/firmware modules to implement specialized functions on embedded systems
- Develop specialized software/firmware modules to implement specialized functions on embedded systems
- Able to work independently and effectively, with minimal supervision, in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Able to follow standard operating procedures and health and safety guidelines
- Demonstrated experience disassembling and analyzing software and embedded firmware
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field of study with 4-9 years of related work experience or Master’s degree with 2-6 years of related work experience
- Demonstrable experience in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science emphasizing embedded system software/firmware design, reverse engineering, vulnerability research
- Familiarity with microprocessors and a variety of assembly languages
- Able to code in C/C++/C#/Assembly
- Real-time operating system experience; QNX, embedded Linux, and Embedded Windows
- Sole US Citizenship & active TS/SCI clearance
- Exceptional communication skills
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Kernel level development/driver development for Real-time Operating systems
- Experience with mobile wireless system vulnerability research
- Experience using Hex Rays IDA reverse engineering tool
- Develop plugin modules for HexRay’s IDA RE software
- Experience debugging embedded systems and RTOSs and using embedded debugging tools
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers